Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zebra wood stock. Ready for the range. Final post.

sparky123321

Zebra wood stock. Ready for the range. Final post.

Since the first one came out better than I expected I decided to upgrade some of my power tools and make a batch of stocks with better wood and a little more experience under my belt. I'm making two for myself using zebra wood. Zebra wood is very expensive, but it looks amazing. Most of the time was spent setting up the tools and the cuts, so I figured I might as well make several at one time.

I'll post some pictures when time permits. All the wood is laminated and cut into rough blanks at this point. Next step will be to cut the barrel/action channels and then to cut the profiles.

Thanks again for all the help everyone gave me the last time around. No purple stain this time I promise and I'm probably going to incorporate some barrel vent holes and a few adjustable butt plates and cheek/combs.

Aircraftmech76

Re: Decided to start another batch of rifle stocks.

Outstanding! Looking forward to seeing your project progress. Pics are, of course, mandatory... ;D

Kevin

thomae

I believe I used zebra wood to make a handle for one of my wife's spatulas when the plastic broke. It turned out nicely. Photos will be appreciated when you are all done.

Uncle Jack

Will you be able to make left hand bolt handle cuts? If so, put me on your mailing list.

uj

sparky123321

Basic Member

Where did you find Zebra wood? How much a b/f?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

Good Morning,

I can't wait to see your project as it progresses. I have inherited a piece of black walnut that I was thinking about making into a gun stock. Could you give me the dimensions of your blanks as they appear in the photos above? I'm assuming that they are 3"+ in width, but can't figure out the other dimensions. Also, the walnut I got is green. How long will it take, and what procedures would you reccomend to dry it out?

Thanks, Ken

That Zebra wood looks awesome!!!!
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

sparky123321

Sorry, but I didn't take any photos of the lamination process. I used 3 pieces of 53" x 7.5" plywood, two 3/4" and one 5/8" for the center piece. I used Titebond II, but didn't use any clamps. I placed the layers of plywood between two larger pieces of thick plywood and then placed 500-600 hundred pounds of weights on top of the stack for 4-6 hours. I waited until the next day to remove the excess glue and square up the blanks.

I bought the zebrawood at local specialty lumber yard. It cost about $200, but I will get 2 stocks out of it.

I'm just a "do it yourselfer", so I don't know about drying green wood. I'd probably Google it or check with a local lumber yard.

The blanks are 2" at this point. I found that it is much easier to work with them this way. I laminate additional wood to the forearm after most of the shaping has been done and the barrel/action channel cut.

Basic Member

SWEET !!!!

sparky123321

I made my template and router jig for the barrel/action channel today on my day off. Next I'll transfer the template to all blanks and start cutting out all the barrel/action channels. Since a 1 1/8" barrel is about the smallest diameter I ever use I'm cutting to a depth of 5/8" with a 1 1/4" round router bit. I will have to open up the action area slightly, since the Savage Target Actions are 1.3". I also have one barreled action that has a 1.35" barrel, so that will have to be opened up along the entire length. I will probably run a 1" flat bottom bit down the length, except for the first and last 2" of the stock. This will ensure the barrel is free floating and make the action bedding easier when I get to it. It will also make it easier to open up any areas that need it.

Basic Member

I have made a ton of cabinets and raised panel doors and always wanted to try making a rifle stock , keep pictures coming

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraftmech76
    Outstanding! Looking forward to seeing your project progress. Pics are, of course, mandatory... ;D

Kevin
    +1! Keep us informed and post lots of pictures.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

sparky123321

Eventhough I was thrilled with the way my first stock came out, please remember that I don't do this for a living nor am I a professional wood worker or stock maker. I'm just an average "do it yourself-er" with a little too much time on my hands tinkering down in my basement.

tinkerer

I need a good pic, some dimensions and a schedmatic of that router rider. Exactly what I was looking for.

Larry
    Tinkerer

sparky123321

I finished cutting out the barrel/action channels today and did all the basic table saw and band saw cuts. Cutting the zebra wood was like cutting rock. Pretty sure one of my router bits is history now. No big deal though. I only paid $12 for the bit anyway.

Next step will be to cutout the grip with a 2" round router bit.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky123321
    Eventhough I was thrilled with the way my first stock came out, please remember that I don't do this for a living nor am I a professional wood worker or stock maker. I'm just an average "do it yourself-er" with a little too much time on my hands tinkering down in my basement.
    I'm from Wisconsin. Growing up in Milwaukee, all homes had a basement. I now live in middle Georgia and homes with a basement don't exist. I miss having one to work in..........reminising over.

sparky123321

Started cutting the pistol grips today. I was busy working on my dust recovery, so I didn't have a chance to do much with the stocks before today.

I'm going to pull 2 of the blanks out of the batch, due to problems encountered while cutting the grips. One was cause by my stupidity, lined up the jig on an erroneous pencil line on the stock, and the other because the jig slipped during the cutting process. I clamped it much tighter after that.

I still have to cut the pistol grips on the zebra wood stocks. That should be interesting. That wood is very hard.

sparky123321

I finished all the heavy router work today on all the stocks. The pistol grip cutout was the toughest. It took a lot of time to make sure both sides of the cut lined up properly and I had to make numerous passes with the router to get to the proper depth, especially with the zebra wood. That wood is tough!

Next step will be to start smoothing out the shaping and to do a rough sanding. After that I will cut the taper on the bottom of the butt and then glue the additional wood to the forearm to achieve a 3 1/2"-4" forearm.

Enough for today. Time to take the "Old Bird" out to dinner and a few beers.

[img width=512 height=768]http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h457/zargon123/IMG_1597.jpg[/img]

Aircraftmech76

Re: Lots of new photos - Decided to start another batch of rifle stocks.

Good gravy! That Zebrawood stock in gonna be beautiful!

Kevin

[quote=Aircraftmech76 ]
    Good gravy! That Zebrawood stock in gonna be beautiful!

Kevin
    [/quote

+1000!

very nice work!
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Great! how will you get those burns out , I know from experience that is alot of hand sanding, do you have a faster way, can't wait to see how you do the area for trigger and what you use , wondering Mortiser?

sparky123321

Forstner bits, drill press and a wood chisel.

sparky123321

Re: Some new photos! - Decided to start another batch of rifle stocks.

I started to cut the butt angles and shape and sand the grip area.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the zebra wood is going to work out. It has warped slightly and may not be usable. I'm a little bummed, but it's all good. I might purchase some more and try doing things a little differently. I'll laminate 2 thicker pieces, making sure to fold it over on itself, and leave it oversized. After 3-6 months I will have it planed and sanded down to 2". I really love the look of the zebra wood, but if it's not going to be stabile enough I might try something else.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast