Thread: YAMCQ (Yet Another Magazine Conversion Question)

WuzYoungOnceToo

YAMCQ (Yet Another Magazine Conversion Question)

After some searching and reading I know that this general subject has been covered quite a lot, but everything I've found has been somewhat fragmented and doesn't directly answer my question...at least not clearly enough that I have confidence that I'm drawing the correct conclusion. So, here goes...

Like so many others I'm looking at replacing the plastic stock on my Savage 111 .30-06 (pre-AccuTrigger....but just barely). I've opted to skip Richard's Microfit - for reasons already gone over in a different thread - and have settled on a Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole. My 111 is a DBM model (with release button on the side) so I'm going to convert it to an internal blind mag by doing the suggested removal of the DBM floorplate, putting the box back inside the action and letting the spring rest on the inside bottom of the stock. So I have two questions regarding this procedure:

1. Is there something I'm missing, or is the procedure really as simple as I've described? Is there something else I need to do in order to insert the mag box back into the action and keep it in place?
    2. The instructions at the Boyd's site describing how to choose the correct stock says (pardon the caps, but I'm copy-n-pasting from Boyd's)..."THE STAGGERED FEED ACTIONS HAVE THE STEEL MAGAZINE-WELL ATTACHED TO THE RECEIVER.

THE CENTERFEED ACTIONS HAVE THE MAGAZINE WELL THAT WILL STAY IN THE STOCK ."
    Does this mean that I need the stock made for staggered feed actions, since the box will be attached to the action?

Yes, I know I should contact Boyd's and aske them about #2...and I'm about to. But I would like some feedback from someone here who has actually done this as a customer as well, and figure I'll also probably get a faster answer here.

Thanks in advance for whatever help is offered.

Basic Member
    Your rifle is a staggered magazine type. It is as easy as you say, just remove the cap from the magazine and insert it back in the magwell. It may be necessary to dremel out some spots for clearance, but very little.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

WuzYoungOnceToo
    That's excellent to hear. Thanks!