I ran across this one at last weekend's funshow. Though I am not interested in most sporting arms I had for some reason begun to think about a Savage Model 99. I have not had one in 30 years or so but do consider it to be a true American classic design. I encounter a gentleman carrying one of these most distinctive arms and he asks if I would like to purchase same..... Examination shows it to be a 99E with 3x9 scope in .308, the one Model 99 caliber for which I already have a fair amount of ammunition as it interchanges with 7.62x51 Nato for my FNFAL, M1A, CETME, SAIGA, Argentine Contract FN49, "Tanker" Garand, and various Mausers......... I ask his price and don't even try to counter offer. The metal is about 98 to 99% original factory blue and the bore looks almost new.
The wood has impressed? checkering. The front sight has been removed, perhaps when the scope was added. The scope is a 3x9 with the only identifying mark I can find is a large letter R on the adjustment caps. On the left front of the reciever beside the scope base is "Savage" below this is "Model 99E". In front of and below the lower lettering is the letter "J" and on the right of the barrel just in front of the reciever is "67". I would guess that this might be the date of manufacture but I am only guessing as I do not know. The screw which holds the lever pin? in position is missing but the case hardening is present. Could someone tell me date of manufacture and an approximate value on this rifle?