Thread: Model 99 Takedown pro's and con's?

Slash2

Model 99 Takedown pro's and con's?

I'm considering adding a Takedown model 99 to my collection, as a shooter and not as a safe queen, and was wondering how the Takedown feature effected accuracy, reliability and stuff like that. I'd like to be better informed before I buy.

I'm also interested in the .410 barrel option. I'm assuming the .410 would only work with the .300s, because of the bolt face, but I've been know to be wrong quite often, are there other calibers that could do the swap? I haven't been able to lay hands personally on one with a .410 barrel so I'm in the dark about the whole .410 conversion concept. Do .410 shells fit in the rotary magazine, or is it a hand load single shot only conversion? How does the screw attachment on the .410 barrel interact with the fore arm wood?

Thanks for any help in getting me up to speed on the Takedowns.

Eric in NC
    Sometimes takedowns will surprise you but generally it isn't a setup that is going to get you top accuracy (when compared to a solid frame). It might be good enough for what you want but most of the time the solid frame will be a bit better.

The .410 barrels are single shot (don't work with the mag) and only use 2.5" shells. The 410 barrel threadshooks on to the fore arm the same way the standard barrel does (and the variability in these hand fit parts makes it important that the SN's match or you might have a problem).

Original .410 barrels are so expensive I bet it would be cost effective to have one custom made if you really want it. Kind of a neat concept but not really practical at all (but it is neat - even neater if you have an original cased set!).

The takedown setup is also prone to wear (only so many times you can thread the barrel into the receiver and back out before you get slop in there).

All in all, I'd buy a solid frame if you want a shooter/hunting gun. I do have some takedowns but just because they were the right price (or a 22 HP).
    Last edited by Eric in NC; 07-02-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Slash2
    Thank you Eric, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I currently have a couple of 99's, with one being my regular hunting gun, the takedown just seemed attractive in that it could be more versatile, fits in the pack while hiking, becomes a rifle if there's game, a shotgun if there's birds. Honestly, I just like 99's and I'm trying to rationalize why I need another one!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC View Post
    Sometimes takedowns will surprise you but generally it isn't a setup that is going to get you top accuracy (when compared to a solid frame). It might be good enough for what you want but most of the time the solid frame will be a bit better.

The .410 barrels are single shot (don't work with the mag) and only use 2.5" shells. The 410 barrel threadshooks on to the fore arm the same way the standard barrel does (and the variability in these hand fit parts makes it important that the SN's match or you might have a problem).

Original .410 barrels are so expensive I bet it would be cost effective to have one custom made if you really want it. Kind of a neat concept but not really practical at all (but it is neat - even neater if you have an original cased set!).

The takedown setup is also prone to wear (only so many times you can thread the barrel into the receiver and back out before you get slop in there).

All in all, I'd buy a solid frame if you want a shooter/hunting gun. I do have some takedowns but just because they were the right price (or a 22 HP).

Basic Member
    If I could find one that was in great solid condition, and at a very low price, and in a caliber I really wanted, I'd buy it...otherwise, not. They are pretty much collectables and therefore too expensive to be regular shooters, at least IMO...and, as stated, they are pretty old and used, and many are no longer as good as they once were.

If a collector, that's one thing, but as a shooter, I'd rather go with a solid frame 99...I have had several, have a later lower end .308 right now that has an excellent bore and great trigger, and I'm very happy with it.

mark