Thread: Request for tips on how to safely reinstall sear and sear spring?

thomae

Request for tips on how to safely reinstall sear and sear spring?

I took off my three-screw trigger to bed a rifle.
    I have shimmed it and lapped the sides of the trigger so it should be a bit smoother than before.

Here is my issue.
    I am reassembling it and was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions to ease the problem of getting the sear and sear spring back in place (under spring tension) without allowing the sear spring to "
    SPROINGGGG" and fly away, never to be seen again.

I know how all the parts go together, but was hoping there was a trick to limit the possibility of my losing the spring.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Cheers,
    Thomae

Basic Member
    Use a slave pin inserted from the opposite side to line up the sear,trigger bracket and receiver hole first. Then push the slave pin back to the inside of the sear, push the sear spring into place and insert the sear pivot pin to line it up. Once you have the spring captured with the pin, push it the rest of the way through ,pushing out the slave pin.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Use a slave pin inserted from the opposite side to line up the sear,trigger bracket and receiver hole first. Then push the slave pin back to the inside of the sear, push the sear spring into place and insert the sear pivot pin to line it up. Once you have the spring captured with the pin, push it the rest of the way through ,pushing out the slave pin.
    Nice to know I was at least on the right track. What you said above, that's what I was trying to do.
    However, I was hoping that there would be a secret tip to the "push the sear spring into place" bit to make it easier.

I am certainly willing to learn from my own mistakes....but if I can learn from other people's mistakes, so much the better.

thomae
    Update: I made a wooden "push stick" and used it to force the spring and spacer into where it needed to go. Once I did that, I could hold it with one hand while I started the pin with the other hand. Hopefully this idea will help someone else. My thumb just wasn't getting the job done!\

All the best.

stangfish
    Use a slave pin inserted from the opposite side to line up the sear,trigger bracket and receiver hole first
    ...and all this time I have been using a drift punch!