Thread: Savage Axis Stock

seanmurphy265

Savage Axis Stock

Since the thread was erased, I thought it would go ahead and re-post this popular topic!

Will someone manufacture an after market stock for the axis/edge?

Basic Member
    Threads have not been erased, Change your "Show threads from" date.

Basic Member
    I saw this on the Boyds website. In the reviews a guy claims he spent 2 min altering this stock to fit Axis:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/CLA-SA...-p/405-193.htm

Basic Member
    Tempest,
    I look at the Boyds website and have questions to ask. Action screws on my axis is 4.76 (4 ¾ ) center to center. I made a cad sketch of my action screws and added the 5.062 holes and see that the by the lug is close to a break thru. You would have to plug the hole redrill for a pillar to be on the safe side. Looking a the picture I see the hole to lug channel is larger, my axis is .81 center to back of lug. You would have to get a Steven trigger guard and see if it will work. (I can not see why the trigger guard would not work). The hole of the trigger guard to action inside flat surface it to high in the picture? I can not see 5 mins on a drill press.
    RSG

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    Tempest,
    I look at the Boyds website and have questions to ask. Action screws on my axis is 4.76 (4 ¾ ) center to center. I made a cad sketch of my action screws and added the 5.062 holes and see that the by the lug is close to a break thru. You would have to plug the hole redrill for a pillar to be on the safe side. Looking a the picture I see the hole to lug channel is larger, my axis is .81 center to back of lug. You would have to get a Steven trigger guard and see if it will work. (I can not see why the trigger guard would not work). The hole of the trigger guard to action inside flat surface it to high in the picture? I can not see 5 mins on a drill press.
    RSG
    My comment was more of a question. That's why I posted it. The guy in the review made it sound like a fairly easy. It was something I may consider. I have modified stocks in the past. However, would be nice if someone came out w/ a drop in.

Don't own an Axis or Edge, but was considering getting one. After seeing this post I have to ask, what is wrong with the original stock?
    Don

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    BigBlue - Go back to the Axis / Edge forum page & scroll down to the post that says "Anyone bed their axis stock yet?"

Scroll thru the posts and read. You'll see a few complaints & remedies.

Aside from the stock being made by Flex - o - Matic, it's one heckuva little rifle.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    BigBlue - Go back to the Axis / Edge forum page & scroll down to the post that says "Anyone bed their axis stock yet?"

Scroll thru the posts and read. You'll see a few complaints & remedies.

Aside from the stock being made by Flex - o - Matic, it's one heckuva little rifle.

Frank in Fla

Ditto on comments above. I filled my stock w/ urethane "Great Stuff" foam. That helped a bunch. Even w/ a horrible stock trigger, my .223 shoots groups like this at 100Y with bulk Federal ammo. I'm going to add a Timney.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Nice shooting Tempest. Did you do the trigger spring mod & the washer thing on your trigger? It makes a heckuva difference. I cut over 3 coils off the spring on mine and it's much better than it was. It almost took two people to shoot the rifle - One to hold the gun, the other to pull the trigger. Geezz- that trigger was hard.

Here's a target from when I first finished my Edge 25.06 This was a 100yd shot with Nosler's and IMR 4350. I think the next thread or two down explains some of the things I did to my Edge to make range worthy. The stock absolutely sucks rocks without a little stiffening.

I even pulled the barreled action off on night & held it over an old 110 stock I have to see how much I'd have to cut & gut to make the Edge action fit the 110 stock. As you can see, I didn't follow thru with it.

I guess we can only hope enough of these are sold to warrant some stock maker to start manufacturing and selling to the general public. I know right now, I'll be on that list early.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    No the trigger is stock. Going to replace w/ a Timney.

gmruehle

You Tube Video

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    No the trigger is stock. Going to replace w/ a Timney.
    I tried the Youtube Video mod I recently watched, and it made a big difference. Using an empty milk jug and a long piece of string, I placed the butt of the rifle on the counter, wife holding it, (the rifle was empty of course). Then I ran the string thru the trigger and jug. I kept adding water with a plant waterer, until the trigger tripped. 7.64 lbs. I had to place a bag of sugar on the scale to make it read first, then added the milkjug. I removed the trigger spring, ran a 10/24 tap from bottom to the top of the trigger to clean out the threads. Then installed a 10/24 screw, so it just came out 1/4". Next, I removed a spring from a Pilot G2 Gel Pen. It was exactly the right length, and diameter. I got a brass washer, and sanded the thickness to fit. This removed the trigger side to side play. Now the trigger is 2.42 lbs, with little or no creep.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Don't own an Axis or Edge, but was considering getting one. After seeing this post I have to ask, what is wrong with the original stock?
    Don
    IMO, absolutely nothing is wrong with the stock unless you want to use a bipod. The forend is very slim and flexible -- proper technique with a bipod creates enough pressure to flex the forend in to hard contact with the barrel, compromising accuracy.

Now for me, this is a non-issue. I bought my 2 Axis rifles (.223 & .270) for use as lightweight hunters. The very last thing I want is a clunky bipod hanging off the rifle. Any time I use an improvised rest in the field I always place my hand between the forend and the object I am using as the rest, regardless of what rifle I am using, and the flex in the stock doesn't affect me in the least. Both guns are 1/2 MOA rifles with Walmart-available factory ammo.

The trigger mod mentioned takes all of about 5 minutes to accomplish and yields outstanding results without compromising your warranty, as it can also be reversed in minutes and the trigger restored to factory standard configuration.
    Last edited by pisgah; 03-16-2013 at 07:31 AM.