Thread: If your are looking for Varget

Basic Member

If your are looking for Varget

As of 11:30 CST, Third Generation Shooter Supply still has 11 - 8 lb jugs of Varget. I got mine. Limit of one per order. Reasonable price.... for Obama times

Luck, Tim

http://store.thirdgenerationshooting...fm/2,3663.html

lwink

Re: If your are looking for Varget

Wish I would have gotten into reloading about 2-3 years ago...

Basic Member

I guess I am lucky. My local Walamrt carries powder and in the last 4 months finding it without Varget is a rarity. As a matter fo fact most of the common powders are on hand regularly.

I buy all my rifle reloading supplies at this Walmart, 69 grain SMK's and Varget. They used to sell primers also but the shortage has taken it toll.

Prices are resonable also.

Dolomite

axaviere

Quote Originally Posted by dolomite_supafly
    I guess I am lucky. My local Walamrt carries powder and in the last 4 months finding it without Varget is a rarity. As a matter fo fact most of the common powders are on hand regularly.

I buy all my rifle reloading supplies at this Walmart, 69 grain SMK's and Varget. They used to sell primers also but the shortage has taken it toll.

Prices are resonable also.

Dolomite
    wow, really? walmart? man that is totally lucky, i wonder why they all dont have that stuff?

kenbo776

If anyone on the forum lives near Sonoma County Calif.....Petaluma Gun and Reloading has Varget again. 30 one pound cans last week.
    I don't use it much anymore so I will leave it for others.
    To Dolomite Supfly ...you are so lucky that your local walmart carries reloading supplies. The ones around here dont even carry rifles and shotguns anymore. They got politically correct and wimped out couple years ago. They still carry ammo but have not recovered from the
    The Great Obama Ammo Stockpile of last year. I am very glad that I saw the writing on the wall and started to reload again this year.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dolomite_supafly
    I guess I am lucky. My local Walmart carries powder and in the last 4 months finding it without Varget is a rarity. As a matter fo fact most of the common powders are on hand regularly.
    I buy all my rifle reloading supplies at this Walmart, 69 grain SMK's and Varget.
    They have it in stock all the time here as well, under $25 per 1lb, had 30 of them on the shelf the other day as well as R7. Like the rest no primers. I get all my supplies on line myself for less.

Basic Member

I picked up 1K of primers a couple of days ago. I could have walked out with probably 2K-3K more but I left the rest. In the past month I have bought over 5K of SR primers, even some CCI 41's. I am going to start reloading with Remington 7.5 rather than CCI400's because I can get them more reliably. The CCI 41's are going to bu used for my AR while the 7.5's are going to be used for my Savage. I can see the CCI 41's sitting for a VERY long time because I rarely shoot my AR anymore and have plenty of reloads for it.

Dolomite

axaviere

5spd, doesnt the hazmat fee make online ordering a little higher?

i am gonna inquire at the local walmart about supplies and why they dont have them. hell this is kansas. we shoot stuff here. of our 3 walmarts (i dont get that, its not a huge town) only one carries guns anymore. they are funny, i saw a lens pen there one time. went back and they were out. didnt plan to get them in again. didnt think they would restock it. but yet they sold out every one. WTF? they only carry gun cases during hunting season. weird. the had bipods, harris copies, but if you just want one on a 22 or your not going out on an op, you may be ok with it at 1/2 the cost of a harris.

we do have a gun & pawn shop that has a good selection of powder. about $30 a pound with tax

Basic Member

If you take the upc# in they can look it up and see if they can order it.

Dolomite

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by axaviere
    5spd, doesnt the hazmat fee make online ordering a little higher?
    Its actually a lot less as I buy 8lb jugs only and it comes out to about $17-$19 per lb and I get the max (48lbs) under the fees.

mgc

I agree with 5spd, I have a shipment in transit via UPS from Powder Valley and the delivered price will be $17.33 per pound. Was a pretty long wait though!

fatdaddy

"I am gonna inquire at the local walmart about supplies and why they dont have them. **** this is kansas. we shoot stuff here. of our 3 walmarts"

+1... I'm in NE kansas and there is no reloading supplys in the walmarts in Topeka or Lawrence. I have never requested they order powder thou... has anyone ever asked if walmart would? Bill

Basic Member

If it is in their system I can't see why they couldn't order it for you.

The manager will probably have the last word on ordering it though, hopefully yours isn't an anti.

I have had to deal with people's personal feelings about things before at WM. I had one of the guys who worked at the sporting goods section refuse to sell me a rifle. His reason was because he didn't like my signature. He wanted me to actaully write my name out as my signature. I explained to him it was my signature, showing him several ID's proving it was. He still refused to sell me the rifle. I went back the next day and bought the rifle when another person was working. I asked the manager why the first worker refused to sell based on signature and she wasn't sure why.

Dolomite

They are showing "out of stock"
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    They are showing "out of stock"
    Three days ago my WM had Varget in stock. As a matter of fact they still had about 10 cans.

Maybe they can transfer from my store to yours? I have a few sources for Varget so I am not really that worried about it.

Dolomite

keithcatfish

Dolomite,

Which WM? I live near Knoxville and have never seen any WMs with reloading supplies. I need to check it out.

very select regions for Walmart carry reloading supply's. some also carry frozen squid for the ocean fishermen. LOL
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by keithcatfish
    Dolomite,

Which WM? I live near Knoxville and have never seen any WMs with reloading supplies. I need to check it out.
    Halls WM, the intersection of Maynardville highway/Broadway and Norris freeway.

Halls Walmart

Dolomite

keithcatfish

Thanks Dolomite. Nice,only a few miles from the John Sevier shooting range. I'll be there tomorrow.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by keithcatfish
    Thanks Dolomite. Nice,only a few miles from the John Sevier shooting range. I'll be there tomorrow.
    You volunteer there or just shoot there?

Dolomite

keithcatfish

Just shoot. Great taste in film by the way. Dolemite is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Basic Member

If I can get my rifle finished in time I might take a trip out there tomorrow. If I do I'll be shooting a tensioned 223 that is all polished up now. Basically barrel, bolt, bolt handle, rings+ bases all polished in a black stock.

It depends more on how I feel than whether the rifle gets done. I just put the final coats on the stock.

Dolomite

keithcatfish

I'll have my VLP and a Mauser sporter. I'm easy to recognize, 6'5" and wearing a black coat. Hope to see you there.

Basic Member

This kinda morphed into a Walmart discussion, so FWIW, here's what I can add. I worked for WM, in the sporting goods for 8 months and what I learned was that basically, a store could order whatever their regional warehouse had in stock. In certain lines, the local mgr could order from a local specialty wholesaler (this store did that with all fishing terminal tackle and bait). A couple years ago, we drove I-80 from Iowa to kalifornia using WM gas cards and we walked the stores for leg stretching. It was rather surprising to see the different lines carried at the various WMs--some had reloading, some didn't. The store that I worked in did not have access to reloading supplies (Iowa is a ML and slug only for big game), but we sold the daylights out of archery and muzzle loading. No guns, but 45 miles away in Council Bluffs, you can still get 'em---???? Steve