Thread: Aguila Ammo?

Josh Smith

Aguila Ammo?

Hello,

I picked up 500 rounds of Aguila Super Extra 38gn subsonic.

Nobody has the SSS 60 grain stuff.

Seems there's a formula that goes something like Proper Twist = (150 X bullet diameter) /(bullet length / bullet diameter). The 36gn needs a bit slower and the 40gn seems to like 1:15 according to this formula, but the 38gn is perfect with the 1:16 twist. All theoretical.

Anyway, I gave it a quick run and it seems promising. I have to dial more to get 100 yards, but since it starts out at 1025fps or so, I don't have to worry as much about wind and transsonic speeds.

Do you have any experience with this stuff, and what are your opinions?

Josh <><

Uncle Jack

Re: Aguila Ammo?

If you&#39;ve got a "Can" on the front, it&#39;s great!

shelbyfan

I have used it and found it to be typical Aguila, consistent and decently accurate. Since it is Eley primed you are basically guaranteed it will go bang every time. As for accuracy it is a bit above middle of the road, nothing special but better than most. I found Eley Sport, made by Aguila to be more accurate and cheaper, about $30 a brick.

forger

Wish I could get the Aguila subsonics around here. In fact, I wish I could get the whole Aguila rimfire line around here. I have bought some of them from gun shows, and used to have a source for the old PMC "moderators", which actually were the Aguila subsonics. I learned to really like them. The 60 gr SSS rounds do not impress me. In most rifles they are inaccurate and in fact, I have one Anschutz which has them enter a target sideways at about 20 ft ! From what I understand, some rifles handle them OK..but none of mine do.
    That being said, I like the rest of the Aguila line very much.

brianinca

The CMP sells or did sell the Golden Eagle line of target ammo, about $25/brick if you buy a case of $5K (shipped). That&#39;s worked out REALLY well for my boys, not as good as the NOW $7/box Wolf/SK Match Target but darned good at 50 yards.

Not a user of subsonics other than the CCI line, but for accuracy purposes the Aquila target speed ammo is good stuff.

Regards,
    Brian in CA