Thread: rcbs 3way pro cutter vs giraud trimmer

rcbs 3way pro cutter vs giraud trimmer

I have not reloaded a single round but hey, I want to get a cutter,
    so pls help me out,
    which one would you get and why,
    for the price, I am attracted to rcbs
    but my buddy used a giraud and he is sold.

so if I understand it correctly, it trims measuring off the shoulder

Thanks,

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...se-Trimmer-Kit
    newbie from gr, mi.

I have an rcBS, it is fine. My problem with it is time for set-up. You have to case to use as a standard, or length guide in setting it up. Otherwise you are doing trial and error for 20 min.

I buy Lee trimmers. No adjusting, no fiddling with, just trim.
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/ci...ch=lee_trimmer
    Buy a length guage for each case, and there you go.

The lathe type(rcbs, redding, etc) are great if you are making cases out of something else, and have to trim the SHYTE of a case. For day to day reloading and trimming, the Lee is SO stinking simple.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

nsaqam
    I agree with Dark.

The Lee system is just so easy to use and utterly consistent.

Haven't tried any of the trimmers which index off the shoulder but there are several out there now. From the inexpensive Possum Hollow, to the medium priced Little Crow Gun Works, to the high priced Giraud.

Everyone who has the Giraud raves about it but for my money I think I'd buy the Little Crow model.

82boy
    Them is too rich for my blood, I have several Wilson trimmers, (1 for each caliber.)and would not want or have anything else.
    http://www.lewilson.com/

Basic Member
    here's what i have been using since the mid 70's and have found it to do an outstanding job! like anything else, the more you use it the quicker it is for you to set-up. this package will save you alot of time and money because it comes with the most common collets and pilots. good price also!
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ku=00070CTK100

ps: you can attach a drill to it if you want to speed things up and not have to hand crank each round!

riverat
    I have to agree with 82boy i wouldn.t trim cases without a LE Wilson fixture

rrflyer
    For doing large volume stuff the Giraud can not be beat. I usually have 500-1000 pieces of brass per rifle caliber and load in large 400+ batches.

For doing it like that the Giraud is amazing. If you only load a couple hundred at a time it may not be your cup of tea.

It does trim off the shoulder which keeps your neck length more consistent and should help neck tension more consistent.

That being said its true value is in time savings....being able to trim chamfur/debur 500+ pieces of brass in an hour is great.

I've used the little crow ones as well and they work fine for just trimming...but you still have to chamfer and debur.

I used the RCBS 3way for a short time and did not like it...It gouged the crap out of the inside of the case neck and that was with two different trimmers.

I am envisioning a batch processing at the end of the season for vintage rifle/high power, so time saving is important for me.
    giraud it is.
    I appreciate all the input. Need to go on ramen noodle diet to save pennies!
    newbie from gr, mi.