Thread: CameraLand Vortex Viper Field Test

Basic Member

CameraLand Vortex Viper Field Test

I finally mounted the Viper on my old 110E 30-06. It was fairly hard to find 30mm rings at a decent price around where I live. The gun came with a Leupold base and I mounted it with Leupold 3mm high rings. It had 1" high on it and I was pleased with my shooting position on the el cheapo scope I had before this.

The scope controls are great, very easy to read. The knobs are have a positive feel, and the reticle responds immediately to any adjustments you make. The fine plex reticle is great for target shooting, and it really feels like you have a bigger FOV over a mil dot reticle. The image is razor sharp all the way to 20x and the quality of the view through the scope is the same as with the naked eye, color, brightness, etc. Played around with the parallax at know distances, and it is dead on.

I shot 15 rounds total, but after a rough bore sight it only took three shots to dial it in, and then a few more to get comfortable. I then placed 8 shots @50yds into a hole that i could put my finger through. For my newbie skills I was very impressed with the result. I was using Federal 150gr Power Shok's, 15$/box, but as I start to reload and become more familiar with the gun I am hoping to improve my accuracy. Bottom line is it put the shot right where I was aiming. I am still a little shaky and don't have a truly comfortable position that is repeated every time.

Overall I am very happy I spent the money on the scope, and I feel that it is a piece of equipment whose accuracy is far beyond what I am capable of putting to the test. I would be proud to use this scope on any rifle I own, and I would highly reccommend it for anyone wanting to pickup high quality at a budget price.

Lastly, the guys at CL are supposed to be geting a few more batches of these scopes and I would not hesitate to get one when they come available. Doug took lots of time to answer any and all questions, and the scope arrived in three days, and I am in Bham, AL. Another satisfied customer!
    I will answer any questions to the best of my abilities and provide photos if desired.
    David
    PS Have not done the box test, mainly because I have not figured out how to!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I just got my Viper which is the replacement for a DOA crossfire. I haven't used it yet but, tomorrow's the day. My only hope is that it fares well on top of my '06. Scopes just don't seem to want last very long on that rifle.

Thanks for the report, David. I see yours survived the recoil from your '06.

By the way, shooting the box is easy. Just remember - don't move the rifle, only move the POI using the scopes' windage & elevation controls. You'll figure it out. It's kind fun to do, too.
    Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!