Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things a man should be able to do

Ridge Runner

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” Robert Heinlein

stangfish
    Recognize a trashy woman, and how she can and will trap you and/or destroy your life.
    Last edited by stangfish; 11-30-2013 at 04:30 PM.

How to treat his mother first and foremost and women in general. The rest is easy after that.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Get him involved with a good church youth group,he'll make friends there that last a lifetime and learn about his creator . Teach good stewardship in everything,especially finances.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Over the years in this business I've met a fair share of adults that lack simple skills that should have been learned when they were children. Besides all of the above suggestions: how to read a tape measure, knowing your directions(north,east south and west) and tell time on an analog clock, knowing the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise. One of my best friends has been an avid health nut and body builder for over 15 years, and one day out on the lake he tells me he can't swim...go figure.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

JMGlasgow
    How to put snow chains on a vehicle.

bflee
    I did service work for many years on air conditioning and I was really amazed at how ignorant some grown men are to anything mechanical. A lot of them only know how to operate a lazy boy and a remote.
    I grew up on the farm and my dad was an electrician and I really took for granted that everyone was as inquisitive as I was. I was wrong. I Have made a good living off them though. I have bought 31 acres and a built a nice two story house.

Basic Member
    Many good things that he should learn posted already.

I have two....

Don't pee into the wind
    Don't whittle towards yourself.

On a serious note.

Love God
    Love your neighbor
    Live what is in your heart for he wrote it there!

Basic Member
    All good. Sorry I did not find this sooner.

How 'bout teaching him that YOU love and honor and respect HIS mother.

Somehow I believe you're doing that, but sometimes I forget to always show that to my daughter myself.

My daughter was 5 when she said to me, "Daddy, you know what I am afraid of...?

I am afraid you do not love Mommy any more."

That was 11 years ago now, and I remember it like it was yesterday. Biggest wake-up call of my life. I was a good man and thought I was a good father. The fact was I did love my wife, her mother, but I failed to show it, even in her little eyes. I worked harder from that moment forward to be better at both. Life has been a lot better around here ever since.

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    All good. Sorry I did not find this sooner.

How 'bout teaching him that YOU love and honor and respect HIS mother.

Somehow I believe you're doing that, but sometimes I forget to always show that to my daughter myself.

My daughter was 5 when she said to me, "Daddy, you know what I am afraid of...?

I am afraid you do not love Mommy any more."

That was 11 years ago now, and I remember it like it was yesterday. Biggest wake-up call of my life. I was a good man and thought I was a good father. The fact was I did love my wife, her mother, but I failed to show it, even in her little eyes. I worked harder from that moment forward to be better at both. Life has been a lot better around here ever since.
    I read somewhere that the best thing a man can do for his son is love his mother. Nothing I have learned since has discredited that sentiment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12