Thread: My NIB Savage MK1

dksac2

My NIB Savage MK1

There was a post from the Penn State rifle club, they were selling 10 Savage MK1 rifles for a very low price, $225.00, said they were too light. NIB, a few test fired, some had a little surface rust on the barrels, mine was still in the box, no rust, just like it came from Savage.

They really are with the synthetic stock, but thing is, I have to wonder if Savage makes these rifles to be the best they can be.

The barrel is beautiful, I lightly scrubbed it with some JB Bore Brite and took it out to break in the barrel. I am at my gunsmith friends shop all the time, he specializes in Savages, so I see a lot of them come through his shop, many new one's also. So I see a lot of the bores in the new and sed rifles, this one is fantastic, no tight or loose spots, it gets tighter at the muzzle.

It was snowing hard, so I took a brick of Rem Yellow jacket ammo that I never shoot because of the lousy accuracy.
    I fired 200 rounds into a large snow bank from inside my shed, took it to the shop and ran a couple patches of Gunzilla bore cleaner thruogh it, the second patch came out clean.

Took it outside for a good look down the barrel, just minor leading in the first 2inches of the barrel. It was easily removed with about 5 strokes with a brush.

I've seen a lot of Savage barrels, this is one of the nicest.

The trigger is very light and breaks better than any stock trigger I have felt on a Savage. The bolt throw smooth as glass.

This was a NIB rifle. I have herd from others much of the same.
    This rifle retails $416.00, pretty high for a Savage with Williams peep sights, so I'm thinking they take the time to put the best barrels on their target rifle, the trigger may have a lighter spring, it's far better than any other.

I have yet to shoot it for groups, something I cannot wait to do.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with one of the Savage rifles with the Peep sights. Now if it shoots as nice as it looks, I'll be one happy camper. I love shooting peep sights and am looking forward to sending in some great targets this spring and summer.

It is a single shot, something I like in a target rifle, not cut out in the action for the magazine.

Right now there is still a lot of snow, it's coming down hard now, so it may be a while before I can really shoot it as it deserves to be shot.
    In the mean time I plan on shooting the rest of the 525 Rem bullets into snow banks to break in the barrel. I finally found something the Rem ammo is good for.

I want to see how well it shoots with the synthetic stock, I put a cheek riser on it and some lead in the buttstock to balance it better. If the stock proves to be a problem, I'll put it in some nice wood, but I really want to see how it does stock before changing anything such as the stock, re crowning etc.

Here are some pics. The cheek rest was not installed yet, it is now.

My Best, John K

KySharpshooter
    Have you had a chance to take it out yet?

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.