Thread: Model 110 .30-06 Wild Boar Kill

Model 110 .30-06 Wild Boar Kill

Hi all, I was able to kill this boar this morning on some family land. We have seen 2 separate groups of pigs in the same field at the same time, with over 40 pigs total running around destroying all of the crops on the family land as well as neighboring farmland. 7 were caught in one trap yesterday morning, 2 caught in the same trap this morning, and the squealing of those two in the trap brought this male in close enough for a kill. I hit him trotting to the left, punched through the liver and kidneys and dropped him flat.
    [img width=576 height=768]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/bigcoastylilwife04/Rich/hangingpig.jpg[/img]

We estimate this male to weigh between 250 and 300lb. I'm 6'4" if it gives you any indication of how big he was. We got roughly 75lb+ of solid meat from him when we dressed him out.

I have leave for one more week before we transfer, so we will be going out one last time later in the week.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

MrMajestic

Re: Model 110 .30-06 Wild Boar Kill

Well done, good shooting! Go back out and get a bunch!

We learned last night that male meat smells like rotten sweaty armpit after cooking. Fine to eat, but the smell is overpowering. After doing a little research, "they" say that males over 100lb aren't worth eating if they haven't been castrated in the past.

Tonight and tomorrow morning is my last hunt before leaving the states, so hopefully we can get a sow to cook up.

1Shot

...Make sausage out of him he'll taste better..

Quote Originally Posted by richhelton
    We learned last night that male meat smells like rotten sweaty armpit after cooking.

I've never heard it summed up that succinctly!! Very true. But folks who aren't around while it's being cooked, may find it delicious. Females smell that way too sometimes. Kinda hit or miss with hogs.

blkhog

Just caught a 300+ boar last week that has no smell or off taste when cooked. He was all boy still. Yet I've had 100-150# boars run you out of the kitchen, so it's an individual thing. Usually you get an idea while cleaning them if they'll be strong or not.

blkhog, thanks for that info. We have trapped/shot around 25 in the past couple months and because of our experience with mine, we haven't tried to cook any others.

I won't be able to get back to the states for probably 6 months, but I will pass on the info to the rest of the family and maybe they'll get lucky with one.

skypilot

Congrats on your hunt. Mix him with deer meat and make sausages.

Steel Talon
    Yep Sausage, make sure you add at least 10-15% pork fat to te grind. Wild Hog meat is vey lean and will stick to the pan it also will not brown nicely with out the pork fat.
    Went to Texas this month and brought home 5 hogs in addition to hams and tenderloins ended up with 63 pounds of sausage. 33 pounds of breakfast first batch, then 30 lbs of "snitzel style" links

WuzYoungOnceToo
    Quote Originally Posted by richhelton View Post
    blkhog, thanks for that info. We have trapped/shot around 25 in the past couple months and because of our experience with mine, we haven't tried to cook any others.

I won't be able to get back to the states for probably 6 months, but I will pass on the info to the rest of the family and maybe they'll get lucky with one.
    Don't let one bad experience turn you off. I've cooked and eaten plenty of meat from large (> 250 lbs.) boars and the vast majority of it smelled fine while cooking and tasted delicious. And I'm talking pure cuts of meat (hams, ribs, chops, etc) rather than sausage. The biggest factors at play here are the condition of the animal at the time of the kill, it's diet, field dressing and, to a lesser extent, the animal's age. A buck chock-full of adrenaline during the rut when you shoot him is going to yield gamey meat. If your pig came running in to the area responding to the sound of those in the trap then there's a fair chance that he was hopped up on adrenaline at the time.

More great information! Thanks a lot for that. I'm learning more about this every day.