Thread: Sights for offhand shooting

Fritz50

Sights for offhand shooting

I bought my second Savage MKII today.

The first one was a BV and I put a Nikon PROSTAFF Target EFR 3-9x40 on it and it shoots great from the bench. Some .25" groups at 50yd unfortunately no 1" groups at 100yd yet. Offhand shooting is much more challenging because it's a heavy gun.

I thought of getting something lighter for hunting rabbits and squirrels. I liked the Ruger 10/22-FS at 4.3 lbs. but it's going to be a while before any of them show up in stores. Fleet Farm (a great mid-west chain store) had a Mossberg Plinkster on sale for $130 and those weigh 4.1 lbs. didn't have any swivel studs but I was going to get it. Then I saw Savage MKII F next to it. $50 more and almost a pound heavier but I love the Accu-Trigger and I know they work so I changed my mind and got the MKII F.

Now my question. I had planed on whatever rifle I bought to put a Red Dot that was on my Crossman 2240 pellet gun.http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.p...tus=&mtrack=6m

Now I'm not so sure. First I would have to buy an additional EGW Picatinny Rail Scope Mount for $43. And second the stock is really set up for iron sights, so now I'm thinking I should just upgrade the iron sights to some hi-vis sights and be done.

Let's face it the likelihood of even seeing a rabbit or squirrel beyond 50yd is almost none existent.

JCalhoun

Re: Sights for offhand shooting

I'd give the the iron sights a try.