Thread: Savage Mark II, Small set screw? Help!

roundabout136

Savage Mark II, Small set screw? Help!

Hello all,

I have the "Dicks Special" Savage Mark II (cheap scope, sight rails incorporated into the bolt housing) It's been flawless as far as reliability goes, and has outstanding accuracy. Shooting steel at 150+ yards is a blast.

Anyways, I was shooting it the other day and after I took a shot, a small set screw dropped onto the ground. I know for a fact that it is not a part of the scope assembly, or my bipod assembly. It bounced away down from the gun.

The set screw is about 7/16" long, with a hex head. Roughly 1/8" in diameter.

I looked all over the owners manual and around the gun and can't figure out where it goes.

I do not remember there being 2 gas release holes, one on the right one on the left. I had thought the set screw went in there but it appears not to be threaded.

Gun functions fine, fired it once after a close inspection, performed perfectly. I plan on shooting it tomorrow at the range and want to get to the bottom of this!

Thanks!
    -Adam

thomae

Re: Savage Mark II, Small set screw? Help!

My MKII just happens to be in a state of disassembly. Please pardon the putty, tape & sawdust in the photos.

Check the center of the round recoil lug that is dovetailed into the barrel. Tere is a setscrew in the middle of that, although I think it may be a torx screw.

If by hex head you don't mean an allen socket, then it probably comes from the very back of the action on the bottom and is used to help hold the trigger and magazine well assembly onto the receiver. there is some sort of a washer that goes with it as well.

I hope this helps.

roundabout136

Thanks for your reply.

Mine does not have that round recoil lug that yours does. And yes I meant to say allen head set screw.

I have seriously no idea where it could have gone. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I'm stumped.

roundabout136

Shot all day without any issues. No clue where this piece came from. There's literally no where on the gun where a set screw would be. Confusing.

thomae

Could it be a setscrew from your scope power/magnification adjustment ring?

jstanfield103

It may help if you could post a picture of it ? Surely some one would recognize it.