Thread: Bolt handle hits scope

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Bolt handle hits scope

I just finished mounting my Nikon Prostaff 4 - 12x 40mm w/BDC reticle on my Edge 25.06. The rings are medium Weaver Skeleton (aka slotted) - 4 hole / screw. After snugging everthing up, I can't pull the bolt back all the way. The handle hits the eye piece.

By the way, Weaver stock number is #48360 if any of y'all want to have a look see at them.

After carefully scoping out the situation, I decide to pull the whole thing apart & call Natchez for the next size taller rings.

The objective lens had a solid 1/2 inch between it & the barrel. I usually like the space between the objective & the barrel TIGHT. I guess it's not going to happen in this case.

SOooooo.... The next size in height is called "high" and i should be OK with that. I'm not real happy about the extra height of the scope but, I guess it's tuff stuff on me.

Anyone else run into this?

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

seanhagerty

Re: Bolt handle hits scope

Something is amiss here. I have the Millett on a set of low rings and I have scope clearance for the bolt.

Any chance the rings arent mounted correctly and are off center to the bolt side?

Or maybe the bolt handle is put back on incorrectly. (Thats a stretch, but its all I could come up with.)

I will be interested to see what is causing this.

Sean

Basic Member

I had it all apart about 5 times & keep coming up the same way. Right at the back side of the bend on the bolt handle - it's just enough to put a nasty scratch / gash on my scope if I pull it back all the way.

The very first thing that popped into my mind was the bolt handle has a bend that's wide for some reason. I don't know how they're made so I can only speculate on how the bend is made.

On the back side of the bolt handle, there's a recess - rectangular in shape - right in the middle of that rectangular recess, is a raised piece that crosses the rectangle.

Right there is where it hits the eyepiece / bell of the scope.

I tried everthing. Swap bases, swap rings, slide scope fore & aft, select curse words, most begining with "F".....
    I suspect it's "just one of those things". The bolt handle may not be rolled / bent fully. If I knew it wouldn't snap, I's lock it up in the vice & lean my dainty 200lbs on it.

I know typically, rule of thumb, or trigger finger as the case is, scope wants to sit as close to the barrel without touching & allow for recoil, vibration, heat expansion, on & on.
    With the rings I have right now, there's about 3/8th inch between the scope & barrel. I'll need to look into this. Otherwise. I'll lose sleep over it

Frank in Fla

skypilot

Can you post a pic? We might spot something. Does the scope sit far enough back to provide proper eye relief and comfy cheek weld or does the back of the objective lens taper hit the front of the base @ or near the barrel nut.

If all else fails any gunsmith can heat and bend the handle.
    Like you said you could go with higher rings, although I've seen "hi" rings only give 1/16" clearance between handle and eyepiece(still couldn't use lens covers.)

Keep us posted, I'd like to know what you decide.

Basic Member

Ya know, the more I look at this situation....

I'm starting to think it's "just one of those things".... Not to be confused with "things that make you go Hmmmm".

I think it's just the way things line up.

Eveything is where it's supposed to be. I had this scope on here already & used it last week. I just got the Weaver rings Friday & put them on. With the old "no name" rings the scope sat a little higher & away from the bolt handle..... barely. These new Weavers are lower & now the scope is closer to the bolt handle.

Like I said.... I think it's just one of those things. The bend in the handle needs to be a tad sharper.

No matter. I already chucked a grinding stone in the drill & made it fit. I found another bolt handle from another SS member so.... I will probably experiment a little.
    I also have another set of rings coming from Natchez. Next size higher.

I'll see if I can put up a photo or 2 later on. You'll be able to clearly see where it won't fit & now, there's a curved spot in the bolt handle where it just clears.

Later y'all

Frank in Fla

Basic Member
    Well.... It just got more interesting.
    I have new Weaver rings, next size taller & I have another bolt handle. I replaced the rings as soon as I got them & notice there's more room between the back of the bolt handle & the eyepiece of the scope. Barely.
    I have a second, unmodified bolt handle & decided to swap it out. No joy. The unmodified bolt handle hits the scope eyepiece WITH the new higher rings.
    One more time.... Take it all apart, check, measure, inspect, fondle, put it all back together. Same thing.

I think I'm going to go with my original suspicion. It's just one of those things. The Nikon eyepiece is just big enough in diameter & sets back far enough to allow the back of the bolt handle to hit it.
    The forward ring & mount is set as far back as it can go. Both bolt handles are identical in size, shape, radius, color....

I'll still try to put up a photo or two when I have a chance. Problem 1 - I need to figure out how to post photos. I hope it's the same or similar to the old site. Problem no. 2 - My laptop - 2 months old - locked up & stopped working. All I see is the Blue Screen of Death on it. Not happy about that at all...

In any event, IF... and I know it's a big "if".... IF any of y'all plan on mounting a Nikon Prostaff 4 - 12x w/BDC reticle on your Edge (or Axis), check your scope eyepiece clearance before you buy rings. I have a sneaking suspicion that's just the way things are.
    Later y'all. It's been a busy week & I think I'll rest up for a full day of shooting tomorrow..... in the 96 degree heat. Welcome to summer.

Frank in Fla