Thread: Which Barrel on Rifle Build...also caliber?

Dust

Which Barrel on Rifle Build...also caliber?

I am doing my 1st build and was wondering what barrel to go with? There are so many options. I plan on using a Savage action. One I have been looking at are...Douglas Fluted...Shilen...Pacnor...ect...ect..

It will be calibered in either a 7mmMag, 7WSM, 7mm-300WSM or 7SAUM? Haven't figured out which yet. Thoughts on that to??

358Hammer

Re: Which Barrel on Rifle Build...also caliber?

Dust
    I guess the caliber request is application driven. In other words what is the intended purpose? All the calibers you list are great calibers for most anything. A couple I don't see which one might look at are the 7 STW and the 7 Rum. Are you looking for exceptional accuracy out to 1000 yards? Then a custom barrel would be in order. You can get some really nice 7WSM and 7 Mag Savage barrels from this forum (classifieds) pretty regular and most shoot very well.

Barrel makers: There are a number of smiths here on the forum and pretty much each has his own barrel maker he subscribes to. What you want and how much you want to pay for it along with the time waiting for a barrel are things you want to think about. Check out the sponsers section and contact the various venders. I am sure if they haven't got what you want they can get it.

Neal

ctrout

Well if it was my money and I was leaning towards a 7mm, I would get a 26" Shilen stainless select match barrel in mag contour chambered for a 7mm/375 Ruger and call it a day. I'm not a fan of belts so the 7mag is out. The WSMs are pretty good performers but I would want a bit more capacity to shoot heavier bullets. The SAUM is ok but it seems to be getting harder to find every day. Each of those rounds is a compromise on at least one level in my book. The only compromise in the 7mm/375 Ruger is that it is a wildcat but that actually appeals to me.

Dust

Sorry, I plan on using it as a long range deer rifle. I am wanting a custom thats why I was wondering about the different ones and which you prefered.

All the ones you have mentioned are good. Don't forget McGowen, Lothar Walther, and Brux. Also any other custom barrel can be sent to a competent smith to have it turned into a Savage barrel. I have a Hart and a Krieger that were take-offs from other types of rifles. Now they fit perfect into my Savage.

I have a Shilen in 7wsm. Here's the thought process that made me choose the 7wsm:
    It's a short action, so I can seat long (180-200g) bullets out to the lands.- eliminates the 7RM
    I can use Norma brass(needs a simple fireform).- better brass than the RSAUM
    Its faster, easy to find cheap dies, and can be found on a store shelf.- eliminates the 7/300wsm.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

lwink

+1 for Shilen. just talk to northlander

Basic Member

I had a Douglas barrel built by SSS last February and it shoots like a dream. I'd give them some consideration.

As far as caliber, I'd stick with the 7mm mag. Alot of the calibers are personal preference though. All those calibers use about the same amount of powder. The 7mm will have better balistics than the 30 caliber but again, you can make do though.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Afy

How about a 1:8 LW in .260 Remington.

Basic Member

Why not a straight .284? Its winning all over in 1000yd comp., can drive a 180gr. Berger to 2950ishfps, maybe 2900 w/ a shorter hunting bbl, excellent Lapua brass, and It will hammer deer- I feel- out to as far as anyone would want to shoot them using a 162Amax, Berger 180gr. hunting VLD, etc. Barrel life is much better- my buddy just replaced his as 2200+ rounds of hard, hot use here in NC F class competition. So, That is my recommendation. Do it on a long action so you can seat the long bullets out far. No fireforming, just run the 6.5x284 brass thru a die and you're good to go

Basic Member

+1 for a straight .284

jrmy_1

What is a straight .284?

358Hammer

The .284 Winchester has 4.29 ml (66 grains H2O) cartridge case capacity. The case has a rebated rim and a body almost as large in diameter as that of typical belted magnum cases. .284/7mm designation is actually the bullet diameter.

The parent case to many wildcats including the 6.5 X 284. Which has a bullet diameter of .264

Hope this helps.

Neal

Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

jwolf

I had the same questions you do. I have had and still have 7mm rem mag rifles,700 remys. Bought my first Savage last year LRPV 6mm BR. I now have a Mod 12 in .223 and just bought a .204 barrel for it. I wanted a 1000yd gun & decided on the 7mm WSM. I found a 16 Weather Warrior at Buds Guns for $450. I have a Shilen Select Match Varmint Contour 1-9 twist 26" ordered from Northlander. I got a B&C Medalist stock here waiting on the barrel. The only draw back I see is brass. I searched the world over and finally found brass at Natchez. Bought 500 rds.and found out that Win. brass lacks a lot to be desired. It will take a lot of culling and work to get good brass out of this lot. That being said I think I might have been better off going with 7mm- 300 Wsm and using better brass. I have loaded and shot some loads in the sporter barrel. Extreme spreads between shots look very promising. very low, but I'm experiancing some sticky bolt symptoms. I guess every gun caliber combination can have its quirks. If I wouldn't have wanted short action I would have gone with the .284, but on the short action I think 7MM WSM is the right choice for me. I'm only worried that this Savage barrel change thing seems to be getting very habit forming. Good luck with your choice!

jrmy_1

Thanks, I thought it was something other than the .284 Win as the OP was talking magnums.

I would figure a 7WSM would be the way to go, higher velocity and more efficiency than the long action magnums.

As for the smaller cartridges, I would think the 7mm-08 would be a better choice as it's more available than the .284 Win. May even consider the .270 Win, but then I would also say you should take a look at the 300WSM, too.

I'd say the 7mm-08 or the 7WSM depending on what you consider more important, more power/velocity or less recoil, and they can both be had on a short action if that makes any difference to you.