Thread: tools needed

tools needed

Hello all,
    Not sure if this is the right place for this...so the mods can move this if need be.

I'm getting ready to start my first build when my barrel shows up from gunshack. I know I need a barrel nut wrench, and a set of barrel blocks as well. Are there any other tools or accessories needed to make the job easier? Also I have a no go gauge for 243ai but the go guage won't be in stock till August. Is there any other place besides midway or any thing I can use in place of that for headspacing.
    Thanks
    12 LRP .204, 200 .243 project rifle. (action), 116 SS action, 200 270

308law

Re: tools needed

I prefer and action wrench to a barrel vice, I think it is easier to hold on to for those really tight nuts. You can try Brownells to purchase or rent a headspace gauge from 4G reamers.

airaddict

U can use the no-go gage to set headspace. Just set it so the bolt closes on the gage then open the bolt and turn the barrel in so the bolt just starts camming and stops. Thats essentially where the no go gage tipically stops it when you use a go gage. As lomg as a piece of new brass closes in the chamber you should be good. Ive done it with a 260ai and had no probs. Bit i understand if you wanna wait for the go gage. It can be intimidating at first.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 308law
    I prefer and action wrench to a barrel vice, I think it is easier to hold on to for those really tight nuts. You can try Brownells to purchase or rent a headspace gauge from 4G reamers.
    +1 ^ Action wrench and barrel nut wrench were made for each other. Ii allows you to get the two wrenches close to each other where all the torque is (recoil lug and nut).
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by 308law
    +1 ^ Action wrench and barrel nut wrench were made for each other. Ii allows you to get the two wrenches close to each other where all the torque is (recoil lug and nut).
    What these guys said! Barrel blocks suck!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Leonardo63

I just did mine with a barrel vice and nut wrench. Never took action wrench out of the box. It was kind of nice actually, something to hold the barrel while setting up the headspace.
    With these Savages and the nut I didn't find anything about it difficult but then I've been studying up on here for a while so I knew what to expect, and it wasn't a big deal at all.

karlrudin

use the action wrench, very heavy duty, and the barrel nut wrench. literally took a 20lbs sledge hammer to break loose the nut on a used 110 model i bought. would never have come off w/a barrel vise. i know using cave man tools on weapons is bad, but after soaking w/penetrating oil for a week wouldnt break it loose by hand, had to do something after having bought the tools

Basic Member

I used penetrating oil for a week also but just before wrenching I heated the nut with an electric heat gun. A sharp rap with a dead blow hammer and it broke free, with just a homemade barrel vise.

Basic Member

++1 on the Action Wrench, and Barrel Nut Wrench.

Might give Jim Briggs a call at NSS, appears he upgraded the Action Wrench. Nice guy, lots o knowledge and a pleasure to deal with.

Leonardo63

fyi-I recently got my action wrench from Jim and the cap is also recess machined to hold the recoil lug for assembly-pretty slick feature.