Thread: Recoil pads: Pachmayr Decelerator versus Limbsaver. Any difference?

Administrator

Recoil pads: Pachmayr Decelerator versus Limbsaver. Any difference?

If there is anyone who has used both the Pachmayr Decelerator and the Limbsaver recoil pads and has noticed any differences between the two.

I realize that there are lots of shooters who have used one or the other and are fully satisfied, so I am not really looking for "I used this one and it is great" type comments.

Since I am planning to purchase a replacement recoil pad in the near future, I thought I would see if there is anyone who can provide a reasonably objective critical comparison of the two brands.

Also, is there any other brand of recoil pad that I should consider for a serious recoiling rifle?

Thanks in advance for your intelligent comments as well as the inevitable goofy and funny ones as well. ::)
    Confido autem verificare

Re: Recoil pads: Pachmayr Decelerator versus Limbsaver. Any difference?

I'd like to know the answer to your question as well... because I bought a used Savage 12 223 with a recoil pad on it that I truly love... but have no idea of the maker... and would like to get another one like it for my other rifles... but have been wondering the same thing as you are... hopefully someone will chime it.... good question.

He who has a Hobby of Love... Lives a Longer and Happier Life.

Paid Member

The Limbsaver is quite a bit softer than the Decelerator but both are great pads IME.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Paid Member

I have used both the PD and LS, but find the Kick-Eez recoil pad just as effective for recoil reduction, much easier to shape for the DIY rookie. They have pintable online templates so you can pick the pad that most closely fits you buttstock. That way you won't need to do much, if any grind-to-fit work.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by BobT
    The Limbsaver is quite a bit softer than the Decelerator but both are great pads IME.
    Bob
    Bob, That's a good data point. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown
    I have used both the PD and LS, but find the Kick-Eez recoil pad just as effective for recoil reduction, much easier to shape for the DIY rookie. They have pintable online templates so you can pick the pad that most closely fits you buttstock. That way you won't need to do much, if any grind-to-fit work.
    Great...I had forgotten the Kick-Eez brand. I'll take a look. By the way, Limbsaver also has templates you can print.
    Confido autem verificare

Paid Member

The limbsavers' I've had tend to get sticky and mushy over time.
    12 LRP 243 AI.McGowen bull,200 action,Shaw 308 HB,.116 action,Shaw 6mmAI ,110 6.5x55,CBI varmint.All with SAV-2's

I have tried both and now only use the Decelerator. The Limbsaver is too grabby on your clothes and feels clubby,whereas the Decelerator looks and feels like it belongs on the rifle. In the grind to fit pads the Decelerator is head and shoulders above the Limbsaver for ease of grinding and final finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262
    The Limbsaver is too grabby on your clothes and feels clubby,whereas the Decelerator looks and feels like it belongs on the rifle. In the grind to fit pads the Decelerator is head and shoulders above the Limbsaver for ease of grinding and final finish.
    +1 - on a hunting gun the Decelerator is better. If you are looking for best felt recoil reduction the Limbsaver is a bit better to me, but they don't last as long.

If you are looking for one for using hunting rifles at the range, a recoil pad for your shoulder is a better solution and a solid type pad on the rifle - lets you develop loads in comfort and not have problems with a sticky or crumbling pad in the field some day.

Paid Member

Quote Originally Posted by 243LRP
    The limbsavers' I've had tend to get sticky and mushy over time.
    They had a batch with a bad cure, contact them and they will send a replacement to you.

One trick I have used on the grind to fit Limbsaver and Kick Ease pads is to freeze them in a deep freeze before grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262
    I have tried both and now only use the Decelerator. The Limbsaver is too grabby on your clothes and feels clubby,whereas the Decelerator looks and feels like it belongs on the rifle. In the grind to fit pads the Decelerator is head and shoulders above the Limbsaver for ease of grinding and final finish.
    I used the "grabby" effect to good advantage today, shooting my .25/06 prone over a pack the pad had enough grab to help keep my rifle in in position and let me fire a 3 shot group of just under 2" at 350 yards. They will never look as good as a Decelerator though!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    They had a batch with a bad cure, contact them and they will send a replacement to you.
    I would have expected this to be the case. I have two hunting rifles that have had Limbsavers on them for 8 years now, and that have seen use each of those winters, as well as time at the range, and they're still in like-new condition.

We install quite a few pads in our shop, over time the Decelerators hold up better than the LS or Kickezz. We have had too many customers complain about the LS and Kickezz mushing out of shape and/or not holding up for us to reccomend them any longer, but we will install them if that is what they want.
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bailey View Post
    We install quite a few pads in our shop, over time the Decelerators hold up better than the LS or Kickezz. We have had too many customers complain about the LS and Kickezz mushing out of shape and/or not holding up for us to reccomend them any longer, but we will install them if that is what they want.
    Bobby
    Welcome to the forums Bob!

Yes, Welcome Bob. And your first post was to help! Awesome.