Thread: Need opinions """ UPDATE SORT OF """

Need opinions """ UPDATE SORT OF """

O.K. after many ,many trips to the range trying to get my 250sav to be my dedicated BR @ 100 gun I finally found the load and seating depth to produce .244-.248 five shot groups.
    The load was 33.5 gr. of IMR 4895 pushing a 120gr sgk @ just shy of 2600fps out of my 18" douglas barreled Stevens action mounted in a Stocky's LRV with pillars.( pics. somewhere in picture thread)
    Now the Problem, after those groups were shot I brought the gun home gave it a light cleaning(hoppes#9 soaked for 30 minutes then 4 dry patches),now it shoots like a shotgun.Same load same bullet same seated depth(3.062@ ogive). After 50 rounds(should be fouled by now) I can not put 2 consecutive shots with in a half inch of each other ???.The only difference is a different lot of bullets everything else the same.
    By the way those groups were shot on different days at 2 different ranges same distance, once off concrete benches once off wood.I was going to use this on Saterday for 100 yard match now I have to use something else, never fails when you think you have it figured out something else pops up.
    What say all you accurate BR shooters using a Savage?
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Re: Need opinions

was there a big weather change? pressure, humidity?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

davemuzz

Just asking.....but I for one HATE to shoot off of older wood benches. Most of 'em are just set up for sighting in hunting rifles and are simply placed on top of gravel surfaces and moved around a bunch. They also have a lot of "give" to 'em. I'd rather toss down a mat and shoot off the dirt than a wooden bench....unless the bench is made of treated wood and VERY sturdy.

Just some thoughts.

BTW....will you have any time to go back to the concrete bench range before your match?

Dave

Did you do ANYTHING other than clean the bore? Tighten any screws? Anything like that? Action moved in the stock bedding?

Are you SURE its the same load, seating depth, all that type of stuff?

Setting up your rifle exactly the same as before.....forearm in the same position on the rest, rear bag the same....those things.

Those are the only things I know to check......if everything is exactly the same and it's still shooting bad I'll be interested in what you find to be the solution.

Might check and make sure you didn't nick the crown with a cleaning rod.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Virtually no change in weather conditions.
    The wood benches are new this year and on concrete pad, stable and level(these are what the matches are shot from.I won't be able to shoot again until Sat.,shot from concrete benches last night. Results-sucked.
    Aside from using bullets from a different lot everythingelse is as exact as I can make it.
    The crown is still as was before,I use a bore guide and am very careful when bringing the jag back.
    At the moment I am STUMPED. I have no time to resolve before the match so I will shoot a 223 factory gun that was shooting .3's before I put it away to work on this one.
    I even started using a new bench rest with this gun, that is when the groups really shrank.

One last thing I just noticed don't know if it matters but the color of these bullets is a redish copperery color not the usual shiny copper color of the Sierra bullets. I wonder if it is a bad batch that got through QC.

Sharpshooter if you read this do you or 82boy have any thoughts speculations, solutions.
    ANYONE !!!
    FROGGY

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy

Aside from using bullets from a different lot everythingelse is as exact as I can make it.
    One last thing I just noticed don't know if it matters but the color of these bullets is a redish copperery color not the usual shiny copper color of the Sierra bullets. I wonder if it is a bad batch that got through QC.
    I think you may have answered your own question here froggy. Refer to the Occam's Razor theory. The simplest answer is often the correct answer.

The different lot may not weigh the same or have the same center of gravity or the jacket may be harder or softer. Point is you changed something and your groups changed to reflect that.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

1Shot

..If it was a 100yd BG setup. I'ld only be useing Bergers...Less lot to lot diff....

gotcha

+1 for the Bergers. Just finished a box of SMK's the next box OTB varied up to .027" from previous box. I think you're on to something w/ the weird coloration of the newer box of bullets. New jacket material?...... Ask Sierra ?

Re: Need opinions """ UPDATE SORT OF """

I spoke to someone at Sierra yesterday and the final conclusion from them is that the bullets are probably about .020-.030 to long for my barrel twist& length.He told me to file them down a little and see what happens. Apparently they are not stabilizing enough. Sucks that I have another box on the shelf.He also recommended droping down to a 90 gr. matchking.
    On another note he wasn't to impressed with my barrel make and to be honest after having two of them either am I, both have been finicky as all **** I have never had so much trouble or expense finding a load for a factory barrel as I have had for these. Please don't say look at the fun I'm having shooting because at this rate I won't have any hair left to keep me warm in the winter.
    FROGGY