Thread: using kiwi clear to bed stock

airaddict

using kiwi clear to bed stock

As the title.says im using kiwi for the first time to bed a new syn stock.

How many coats do i put on? So far ive applied maybe 4 lights coats and buffed them. is this enough cause i really dont wanna glue the barrelled action together. Ive taped the recoil lug front and sides and bottom w 2 layers of blue painters tape and also applied two layers of electrical tape to the barrel nut but i doubt the devon will get that high. Ive also applied a generous amt of kiwi to the recoil pin slot so devon doesnt find its way in there as well as a generous amount in the threads of the action screw hole.

Brian

Re: using kiwi clear to bed stock

I used 2 heavy coats, then lightly buffed mine and nothing stuck. Be sure to put it on EVERYTHING you don't want Devcon stuck to, including the taped surfaces (on the tape). It doesn't look like it would work, but have faith, it will. Also make sure there are no voids that could form a mechanical lock, like in the trigger and magazine areas.

airaddict

Im mainly concentrating on the lug area and of course the area where the action screws are. The rear action screw area will get a very light coat of devcon. Pretty much everything is prepped now. Just gotta kiwi and taped the action screws to keep devcon out of the pillars which i didnt do the first time but i was lucky it chipped right out. Still nervous cuz the first time i used pam and it did work like a charm but its a real pain to clean up!!! Lol

brian

tinkerer

Screws, threads and head also. Makes it so much easier to get them out afterwards. Clean up the excess ASAP.

I also take it all apart at the 4 hour mark, just in case I have interference, so I can clean it up and put it back together.

Good luck.

Larry
    Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerer
    Screws, threads and head also. Makes it so much easier to get them out afterwards. Clean up the excess ASAP.

+1

airaddict

The devcon is thickening as we speak. Ive learned to give it 10 min or so to thicken a bit to loose peanut butter cuz its so much easier to place and it stay where u want it to. Im using the little tubes from midway. Didnt want to spend the big bucks on the jar and me not use it and it go to waste. I might have to wake up at 4am to come downstairs and pop it out or loosen the screws at least to make sure nothing bad happened. Its like xmas morning all over again!! 8)

brian

thomae

I used Kiwi tonight as well.
    Tonight is my first bedding job.
    I couldn't find any Devcon locally, so my JBWeld and lamp rod pillar/bedding job is setting up even as I type this. Hopefully it will pop out in the morning. I waited for the JB to set up some before bedding, but it still runs and drips. I use lots of qtips and Goo-Gone to clean it right up, though.

Kiwi and plumbers putty. That's what I read here...hopefully everyone was not lying!

I guess we'll have to compare notes tomorrow. I hope you have outstanding results. ;D
    All the best,
    Thomae

airaddict
    well it actually popped out of the stock without a hitch. didnt come out as good as the VLP stock i did a while back but these Syn stock are hard to work with. but the barrel is freefloated and seems pretty snug. Tang was nicely freefloated as well. now gotta wait for a few parts from SSS to finish up the stock.

brian

thomae
    Mine Popped out quite easily as well. The excess epoxy cleaned up easily. I had put Kiwi on the edges of the mag well, so the extra hardened ooze came off the wood easily. I am refinishing the stock now, so I'll have pictures after it is all done.

Ok, 1 July: , here are some photos (I'll start a new thread about the whole project [35 Whelen] and post it separately):

Here is the stock and action, taped up for bedding.

Here is the stock after popping out the action. Used Clear Kiwi as a release agent and it worked swimmingly:
    Last edited by thomae; 07-01-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added photos.