Thread: Used Fixed Power Scope Recommendations Please

Basic Member

Used Fixed Power Scope Recommendations Please

For curiosity and budgets sake I've been thinking about trying out some fixed power scopes. As these would be used for a truck gun(s) and hunting, looking at 6x or less although strongest interest is in 4x or less. Calibers involved would be .22LR, .223, 7x57, .308.

What brands/lines of used fixed power scopes would you recommend with an eye towards clarity and ruggedness? A good low light reticle wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks
    Jeff

nsaqam

Re: Used Fixed Power Scope Recommendations Please

The El Paso Weaver K-4's with the post and crosshairs reticle are tough and surprisingly good.
    Any of the Leupold M-8's are good as are the Leupold FX series.

Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam
    The El Paso Weaver K-4's with the post and crosshairs reticle are tough and surprisingly good.
    Any of the Leupold M-4's are good as are the Leupold FX series.
    Echo!

The old Weavers can often be found at a good price too.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

308law

The fixed power Sightrons are very good also.

Three votes for the old Weavers

Quote Originally Posted by BobT
    Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam
    Any of the Leupold M-4's are good as are the Leupold FX series.
    Echo!

The old Weavers can often be found at a good price too.

Bob
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member

Thanks for your reply(s).

How does the older glass compare with the newer re contrast, flare, low light etc.

Any other scope brands I might want to look at? B&L Balfor, Bushnell ScopeChiefs, Redfields, to name a few I've seen on ebay.

Thanks
    Jeff

cgeorgemo

Super Sniper from SWFA if you can find one used. I've only seen one on eBay used. seems most people are keeping them once they get one. They make a 6X42.

nsaqam

Quote Originally Posted by nuance231
    Thanks for your reply(s).

How does the older glass compare with the newer re contrast, flare, low light etc.

Any other scope brands I might want to look at? B&L Balfor, Bushnell ScopeChiefs, Redfields, to name a few I've seen on ebay.

Thanks
    Jeff
    The glass on the El Paso Weavers is surprisingly good still. They are also steel tubed and every part, including the lenses, was made in the plant in El Paso. They are also plentiful and inexpensive.
    The internal adjusting Balfors are good but there are many external adjusting Balfors out there and they require a finicky mount system to provide adjustments.
    The Redfields were close to top of the market at the time and would make a good choice.

I still say of the older scopes that the Weavers are your best buy.
    The Leupold M8's are really nice, tough scopes too but they sell for more than the Weavers. If you can find a 3X M8 they have a cult following and bring very high prices.

Basic Member
    Any idea what the eye relief I can expect from the older Weavers?, or any other older fixed scopes?

Thanks
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by nuance231 View Post
    Any idea what the eye relief I can expect from the older Weavers?, or any other older fixed scopes?

Thanks
    Jeff
    IIRC the old Weavers were on the order of 3.5-4 inches, same with the Leupolds. Now you have me wanting a couple of fixed power scopes.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

375Win
    Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x, great glass perfect tracking and there are some out there. One of the best out there. The new model Weaver K-4 have great glass also, much better thean the old steel tube, the new Model K-6 is pretty ipresive also.

leatherlunger
    i have two swfa super snipers. a fixed 20 mil-dot/moa and a fixed 10 mil-dot/moa. Super rugged, nice turrets, 100 or so moa of internal adjustment and they make a fixed 6x wich i will be getting for my 18" .308 shorty. They claim they are .50 browning rated. 30mm main tube.

dieselflipper
    i have a new weaver k-6 (on sale for $130 at midway) on my 280 rem. my absolute favorite scope. i only use fixed power scopes and IMHO weavers are among the best in terms of affordability.

Xaved
    +1 for the SWFA fixed power scopes. They updated the line recently with a new mil-quad reticle and matching mil turrets if that's your fancy. I have a SWFA 10x42 and it's a great scope.

Westcliffe01
    I just bought my second Weaver K 6x38 scope, a 2 piece steel (Warne) scope rail and Warne Maxima steel permanent rings all out the door at Opticsplanet for $190. Ordered Sat, delivered Monday at noon. To top it off, I sent a note to Weaver factory requesting the reticle subtentions for my scope and today (first working day) I got a reply in my email with an excel sheet with the reticle subtentions for all the reticles in all their scopes. How cool is that ? (it would be even better if it was included in the scope documentation or available on the Weaver website, but strangely not even Leupold has this info available for the majority of their scopes).

If the admin has a way of posting files like this (very useful info) please send me a PM where to send the file.

dieselflipper
    How did you get that info? I'd love to have that for my k6. Is there any way you can send that to me or post a number/e-mail?

Westcliffe01
    I put the file on my server. Here is the link (Excel 97/2000 format)

http://keithandseija.com/data/weaver...ticle_data.xls