Thread: Vortex Cutomer Service & Scopes

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Vortex Cutomer Service & Scopes

If any of y'all were following my recent dilema with my 30.06 suddenly doing its shotgun / buckshot immitation, it turned out to be the scope. My Crossfire scope that had been back to Vortex twice in less than 2 months would not hold zero / POA.

I wanted so badly for it to NOT be the scope as the source of my situation however, it was.

Now..... I sent Vortex an email informing them to make room on a shelf somewhere... It's coming home. I've had it. Total frustration. The customer service responded, in very polite & professional fashion I might add, they will either A) Full refund B) Credit scope cost to a discounted Viper 6 - 20 x 50 mildot or C) credit toward a new Crossfire 2 series.

They even were willing to refund the cost of the real cool looking slotted Weaver 6 screw 30mm rings I bought.... Just for that scope.

It appears that for about a C - Note, I can have a new VIper which may relieve my frustration & heartburn previously inflicted by my old Crossfire.

Once again, Vortex Customer Service has restored my faith & made an otherwise crap situation into a winner of a situation.

I'll miss that 'ol Crossfire. The short time we had together.... We shared some wonderful times. Rest well my old friend. Thanks for the memories...... :'(
    (Geeez.... I almost feel like I should break out into a verse of "Memories" or something)

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Team Savage

Re: Vortex Cutomer Service & Scopes

Frank were is the wake going to be held at

drybean

Basic Member

No wake, Bean.

Just a small memorial service, a few friends, some food. It'll be nice.

If you wish to make a donation, info will be posted at a later date. Proceeds will go to a fund to benefit previous Vortex owners that had similar traumatic experiences.....

Thank you for your concern.

Frank (*sniff*) in Fla.... :'(

Basic Member

Frank i have had the same problems with the crossfire scopes. had the 1 inch tube first and every shot the vertical knob would rotate. Sent it back, got it back same problem, sent it back got a viper problem solved. this was all happening on top of a 338-06 using both 215 game kings and 250 grain matchkings. the viper has held up so far. decided to try the crossfire again and this time a 30mm tube. same problem just not as bad on a 243win so i gave it to my nephew to put on his 22 and told him any trouble just send it back they will make it good. I like the viper but never again will i get a crossfire. i think you will like the viper.

Just for the record i am now buying only Sightron Slll scopes. but am keeping the Viper.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

nsaqam

In my sample of one I've come to the conclusion that the Crossfire isn't a well built scope.
    Just today I sent back my Crossfire 2x20 EER pistol scope because the ocular lens falls out!
    Kinda anxious to see what Vortex is going to do for me.

Basic Member

I almost feel better that I'm not the only one to find out the Crossfire's are quality paper weights.

----->nsaqam ---> Don't worry about Vortex cust, scv. They are digustingly helpful. No cost to you for shipping & handling, set you up with a shipping ticket for free, etc. Now, if your problem is chronic, you'll probably have to send it in a time or 3 to get them to make you "an offer you can't refuse".....

Good luck with them guys. Mine is leaving this morning via FedEx. Compliments of Vortex.

Frank inFla

nsaqam

Huh, they didn't offer to send me a call tag so I shipped it at my own expense. Only $5 so no big deal.

Mine was machined poorly as the threaded ocular lens holder just pulls straight out even though the threads on both the housing and the holder are still good.

Basic Member

Wow.... So much for QC. It's saddening to see & hear stuff like that. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I couldn't provide top quality. I expect no less from the guys that work for me.

Anyway - why not give tham a call. Unless you have a different warranty program on that scope, they should have forked over the cost of shipping. The Crossfire I sent back (3 times) was covered under VIP warranty..... I think. It had some catchy name that made you sleep well knowing they're watching out for you.... ::)

Good luck with it. I hope it works out for you.

Frank in Fla

just get the viper and you"ll be worry free! Glad they offered you that deal as well.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

nsaqam

I was fully aware that the Crossfire I bought used for $35 was not going to hang with my Zeiss, Leupold, and Minox scopes.
    I've never had the ocular lens on any scope I've had fall out though!
    Back in the day I ran some pretty lousy scopes too.

Basic Member

Hey, look at it this way. after you make the shot, you can use the lens that popped out as a monacle. Maybe even do a Col. Klink immitation?

Stay well, y'all

Frank in Fla

nsaqam

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla
    Hey, look at it this way. after you make the shot, you can use the lens that popped out as a monacle. Maybe even do a Col. Klink immitation?

Stay well, y'all

Frank in Fla
    HOGAN!!!!!!

Basic Member

nsaqam You say you ran with some pretty lousy scopes? I have a ...... wait for it......... I'm reluctant to say in public forum. I mean, after all, if this gets around.....

I have a Barska on one of my Savage rifles.

There.
    I said it. It wasn't easy to say. I hope y'all won't hold it against me.

In all honesty - Natchez used to have a spotting scope / 6 - 24x 46mm barska package available. I wanted a spotting scope, money was tight so, I bought the package for $79. I figured the scope will be broken in 2 weeks & I just wanted a spotter. That was a year & a half ago. the scope is STILL on my .270 & works flawlessly. I know, i know.... It's cheap stuff. But it works. The image is a little fuzzy at 24x but hey.... we're not talking Zeiss Optics here. I can put 5 downrange at 200yds and keep them in a 1 inch square. That's not BS either. I have a photo of a 200yd target since I figured my son or the guys that work for me would say BS.

Every once in a while, even though it's cheap chinese or maylasian junk, it works out.

And, lastly, you do know Vortex warranty's are good no matter who owns it, right?

Later y'all. Back to work..... or at least create the illusion I'm working.

Frank in Fla

Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam
    In my sample of one I've come to the conclusion that the Crossfire isn't a well built scope.
    Just today I sent back my Crossfire 2x20 EER pistol scope because the ocular lens falls out!
    Kinda anxious to see what Vortex is going to do for me.
    I'd be interested in what they offer you since they no longer make an EER pistol scope.

Had mine mounted on a .460 S&W magnum.

Wouldn't mind putting a SPARC or RAZOR on something in it's place. All it's doing right now is setting on the reloading bench.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Man, now you guys kinda have me hoping that me 6-24 Crossfire takes a dump so I could upgrade to the Viper.

Mine is still holding in there though.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

Hey Boots.... Lock it up on a 30'06. That's what did it for mine.... The other guy used a .338.

And here all this time I was blaming my scale for irregular weights, the wind, my rifle, everthing I could think of just not wanting to think the scope went south so soon.

Live & learn.

I'll be sure to let y'all know any updates on the incoming Viper. I already have the rifle & rings preped & ready.

No, I'm not anxious..... Much.

G'night y'all

Frank in Fla

Guess I could slap it on the 458WM. ;D ;D ;D
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

It's worth a try...

OR - When you're at the range, loan it to some one shooting a 416 Barret. I recommend a 338 Lapua at the very least. But, what do you do IF the stoopid thing survives???

That would be how my luck would go.

Frank in Fla

Basic Member

my neighbor had a 375ruger in a 7.5lb rifle (howa 1500) that was devastating on scopes. 3 shots= 2 broken elcheapos

Basic Member

I guess the moral to the story is there is no way to save on cheap scopes. They always getcha in the end.

AND.... I'm sure most of y'all noticed, the miserable thing always breaks when you really don't need it to.

I'm sold.

No more cheapo scope -o's for me-o...

Ya know... I just may be able to write a song with that.

OOOohhhhhh Soloooo MIioooooo....

No mOre cheapo Scope- ooooo's....

Kinda has a nice ring to it.

Later y'all.
    Frank in Fla

Basic Member

I mounted those scopes on that 375 telling him the whole time that they wouldnt last. After he watched me shoot it, he sold it and never fired it.lol. It did kick like a pissed off mule

seanhagerty

OK Frank, no more cheap scopes.

So, what are you going to buy?

Basic Member

What am I going to buy?

Nothing, per se....

Vortex made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I surrender the deceased Crossfire & about $125 & I end up with a new Viper 6.5 - 20 x 44(?)

The one with side focus, mil dot reticle, etc, etc....

I just picked up a nice Nikon Prostaff on sale at Walmart for $189 + tax. It's 4- 12x with the BDC reticle. I had no idea Nikon made such a nice scope. Good chance I may look into another Nikon with a few more features.

Otherwise, after my 30'06 consumed 2 simmons, 1 Bushnell and now a Vortex & since I tried the Nikon on my '06 and it didn't come apart, I'm leaning thata way....

Whatcha think?

Frank in Fla...