Thread: stevens 200 build advice & info

muffo

stevens 200 build advice & info

Hi. this is my first post here and i have a few questions.
    Im looking at building a stevens 200. Im hopefully going to build it to use in 2 different calibers. My thoughts are im going to buy a stevens 200 in .223, a new barrel chambered in 7wsm or 300wsm, and a chote ultimate sniper stock, plus other accessories. I want to use the rifle for 2 completely different things. first of and the reason why im going to use the chote stock is i want to use it to train for shooting service rifle in the Australian army. the pistol grip with some slight modification will make it similar to holding a styer so i can train similar positions as to those I adopt using the styer. Secondly I want to do some long range deer shooting and some 1000 yard varmint shooting. In Aus we are limited to .270 and above for shooting deer.

Before you tell me to just get 2 different rifles, I think it will be fun to build almost a switch barrel rifle.

so Now to my questions.
    Can you get a barrel chambered in a wsm round in the standard short action. I read somewhere that magnum actions were slightly larger so wasnt sure if i could get a barrel chambered for wsm in a standard short action.
    Also are new Stevens still in the staggered feed mag layout?

Re: stevens 200 build advice & info

In the short action the difference is the barrel shank diameter and the barrel nut. You can buy custom barrels in either size shank in most any calibers. The new Stevens rifles are center feed.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

The "standard action" you are talking about is called a "Small Shank action".
    The precision target actions and WSM's savage makes now are called "Large shank actions".

"Can you get a WSM in Small shank"? If you have the money, you can have anything you want. Don't expect someone to have them laying around, but you can have one built.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

muffo

Thanks f or the info. Being in Australia makes it a lot harder building a rifle from what I can find I can't just buy a pre fit barrel. I have to get one made so being large shrank or small shrank won't affect the price at all. It Also looks like I have to find a older staggered feed action because I can't find the stock I want in a centre feed style

muffo

Ok so i can get the stock for center feed here in aus so what would i be better doing, chasing down an old model which may take time or just buying the newer center feed model. I would like to keep this build under 2 k for the rifle without optics. Im looking at around 500 for the rifle in .223. 8 to 900 for the barrel in 7wsm and 450 for the stock. that leaves me with 150 for a trigger and picatiny rail. Il go over budget in the end when I do a few other things to it but hopefully not in the initial build