Thread: Reasonable priced spotting scope?

kdvarmint

Reasonable priced spotting scope?

Considering a new spotting scope for 500yrd. Must be able to see .224 holes on paper at 500yds under "reasonable conditions". Yeah, I know, mirage >. $400 to $600 range. Any suggestions?

Re: Reasonable priced spotting scope?

I not sure that there is a spotter made at any price that will show .224 holes every time at 500 yards. If there is I bet that $600.00 won't touch it. I'm not an expert by any means but I have looked through some pretty nice spotters up to 60x and it was pretty tough to pick out little holes at 300 yards.

Good luck in your search, if you find one please share the info, I'm getting ready to buy a new spotter myself!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I use a kunos 20-60, and I can't see 30-06 holes with mirage at 200 yrds sometimes,
    kunos = good value,
    newbie from gr, mi.

308law

I have read a lot of this guys reviews and post on forums and he seems to know his stuff. Here is his recommendations at different price points.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?...layout=default

kdvarmint

Quote Originally Posted by BobT
    I not sure that there is a spotter made at any price that will show .224 holes every time at 500 yards. If there is I bet that $600.00 won't touch it. I'm not an expert by any means but I have looked through some pretty nice spotters up to 60x and it was pretty tough to pick out little holes at 300 yards.

Good luck in your search, if you find one please share the info, I'm getting ready to buy a new spotter myself!

Bob
    "Reasonable conditions" Not every time.

nimrod1

I never had a spotting scope but I always wanted one. I'll be watching this thread to see what people say.

kdvarmint

Celestron Regal 100 F-ED 22-67x100 is what I'm considering. A little more than I originally planned, but what else is new. Anyone have any experience with this model?

thomae

I bought a couple of used Kowa TSNs . One is a TSN 2 and the other is a TSN 70 (?- not sure, it's in the truck) with angled eyepiece and prominar lenses.
    Both are very good. I can see the moons of Jupiter with a 20x eyepiece. .22 holes at 600 yards? Probably not. That's what target pullers are for! ::)

FWIW, Midwayusa currently has a 60mm Barska scope with ED lenses on sale. It is item number 766437. I don't own one, so I can't comment on its quality.

Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint
    Celestron Regal 100 F-ED 22-67x100 is what I'm considering. A little more than I originally planned, but what else is new. Anyone have any experience with this model?
    Let us know how it works, I wouldn't want to carry it hunting but looks like it would be the cats meow for range use.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member

you could always get a camera that can be viewed online and place it down range with the target

kdvarmint
    Well ok, I bought the Celestron Regal 100 F-ED 22-67X100. Got to use it yesterday in a match. It was sunny with temps around 90 and rising, humidity 64%. Yes there was considerable mirage. Not real bad but it sure was there. At 500yds could see all 6mm holes. At 500yds could see 22cal holes in the white but could not make them out in the black. Under the conditions I was impressed with this scope. I'm very satisfied so far. With low mirage I think I will be able to see all 22cal holes. Has a nice wide view with clear image at max power and clear from edge to edge.

argoboy

Spotting scope

I bought a reconditioned Nikon 15-45X 60 and I have been very pleased with it to date. I have found that magnification over 45x is not that useful.

kdvarmint
    I was suprised how well the celestron maintained clarity all the way up to 67 power. Wide view and clear from edge to edge.