Thread: New to fourm and scope mounting question

Gregory

New to fourm and scope mounting question

Hello

So I've had my Savage Model #4 for over 20years before I figured out what I had. I inherited the gun from my grandfather when I was 15 and hunted small game with it for a number of years. The last 10years or so it was in my parents closet and I just got it back as I've gotten back into shooting. It's a Savage Model #4 with the diamond markings on the stock which I believe gives it a made date of somewhere between 1933-1945 (please correct if I'm wrong). It has a 5 shell clip with the following markings: MOD 23AA and MOD 1933 NRA. I'm not sure what that means so if you know please post up.

I'm looking to put a scope on it to work with my target shooting and I've read that a Weaver mount is the way to go? Since my rifle doesn't already have mounting points is this something that is safe to do yourself if you are pretty handy or is it better to take to a gun smith?

Pictures below

[img width=600 height=450]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn278/GregoryAppling/Savage%20model%204/SavageModel4001.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn278/GregoryAppling/Savage%20model%204/SavageModel4002.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn278/GregoryAppling/Savage%20model%204/SavageModel4003.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn278/GregoryAppling/Savage%20model%204/SavageModel4004.jpg[/img]

shelbyfan

Re: New to fourm and scope mounting question

Nice rifle. I have the same rifle but not that nice, mine is a Western Field.

Weaver makes a good mount, don't remember the number, SUPER easy to install unless you don't have a drilled and tapped receiver. If yours is not D&T'd you have to know the resale value will drop as most have been done.

The markings on the clip, 23AA, 1933NRA, are just other earlier models the magazine fits, mine say the same.

Gregory

It's a gun that will never be sold. It was given to me as part of my grandfathers will I will never part with it. It will be passed down.

I do want a little more function out of it. I'll look into the tapped receiver (got lots of drills) and that might decide whether it's a do it yourself or take to an expert.

Thanks for the reply.

shelbyfan

If you are going to drill and tap it, go with a good weaver mount on top, like modern Savages. You will have much more versatility and it will look better.
    It also might have mount holes on top for a peep sight.

tpd211

I have a Model 5 that had a Weaver N2 mounted on the side when I bought it. It appears yours is not D&T on the side from the photo.

You can see if you can D&T the top or side, depending how you want to mount scope bases to it.

I would have a gunshop do the work, they have jigs to make sure everything is centered when they do the D&T.

I sold the N2 mount as it was for 3/4 or 7/8 scopes only, cant remember which.

I installed a Weaver side mount and got a Brunton 3X9X40 from Natchez. I'm happy with the set up as there can be issues with the bolt not clearing the scope when you cycle the bolt.

Here is a photo. I just Duracoated the rifle with Gun Blue color. I refinished the stock a few months ago.

[img width=600 height=450]http://home.comcast.net/~tavares11/savage/duracoat/26.JPG[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://home.comcast.net/~tavares11/savage/duracoat/27.JPG[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://home.comcast.net/~tavares11/savage/duracoat/28.JPG[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://home.comcast.net/~tavares11/savage/duracoat/25.JPG[/img]

Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by tpd211
    I have a Model 5 that had a Weaver N2 mounted on the side when I bought it. It appears yours is not D&T on the side from the photo.

You can see if you can D&T the top or side, depending how you want to mount scope bases to it.

Yes my Model 4 is currently not D&T. I'm taking it to a shop next week to have them look at it. The approximate cost they mentioned without looking at it was a little higher then I want to pay. I might end up getting a newer Savage to scope out.

Would you mind posting a picture of the otherside of your model 5 so I can see the location of the screws?

Thanks for the pics and information

tpd211

Here is a photo before I Duracoated it.

The Weaver mount is a 2 piece mount but I could not use it as designed due to the threads the D&T was done in. The Weaver screws were smaller than the D&T. I had to use hex bolts cut to size. I drilled through the top piece from the bottom piece to create the holes to mount the sight to the side of the receiver. The Weaver is designed to have the bottom piece mounted to the receiver and the screws are recessed so the upper piece fits flat against the bottom one. Then the upper mount is screwed in place. The 2 holes you see are the screw holes for the upper mount to screw to the lower mount. I couldnt find screws that fit the D&T and that were small enough to fit the recess in the lower mount. If your having the D&T done, make sure the D&T is the screw size of the Weaver mount screws, sorry I dont know what the size is off hand.

This is secure and works for me....

[img width=600 height=450]http://home.comcast.net/~tavares11/savage/4a.JPG[/img]

Wow, thats a real early one. With that groove on the side of the stock it was one of the first models made somewhere between 1933 and 1935.

If anything at all it might be D&T'd for a Lyman #55 peep sight but thats it. You would have to get a smith to do a D&T and if you did D&T it I'd go with top mounts as well, alot more pleasing to the eye than the side mounts.
    Savage- "never say never".

Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog
    Wow, thats a real early one. With that groove on the side of the stock it was one of the first models made somewhere between 1933 and 1935.

If anything at all it might be D&T'd for a Lyman #55 peep sight but thats it. You would have to get a smith to do a D&T and if you did D&T it I'd go with top mounts as well, alot more pleasing to the eye than the side mounts.
    Wow, the more I find out about the rifle the less I want to put a scope on it.... might need a new rifle:)

There are no screw holes on the rifle anywhere. I was looking at the Weaver side mount as I wasn't sure I had enough clearance or room to put it on top. Here are a couple more pictures

[img width=600 height=450]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn278/GregoryAppling/Savage%20model%204/SavageModel4005.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn278/GregoryAppling/Savage%20model%204/SavageModel4006.jpg[/img]

A set of Weaver B mounts would work on top but they're hard to find.

shelbyfan

That looks exactly like mine except mine has the grooves for the peep and yours has a better stock. And mine is drilled and tapped from the factory, I believe.

Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog
    A set of Weaver B mounts would work on top but they're hard to find.
    Should I assume they don't make them anymore? I've got a gunshop I'm going to take it to next week to take a look at it.

Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by shelbyfan
    That looks exactly like mine except mine has the grooves for the peep and yours has a better stock. And mine is drilled and tapped from the factory, I believe.
    Over the years it's have very little usage. My grandfather put it in the closet for years before it came to me and then I hunted a number of years with it and then stopped when I moved around a lot.

So it's had lots of years just sitting in a closet untouched. I'm not sure if my grandfather was the first owner (he'd be old enough) and it came to me in the mid-1980's

Ya, they haven't made them in a real long time, I'll let you know if I see any.

I've got a set here but I'm gonna get them put on a model 219 barrel in 30-30.

shelbyfan

I don't know where you live, but if you are hesitant to drill and tap it, Walmart sells new Savage MK2 non accutriggers for $137, they are known for being accurate and reliable.

wapaloose

I would not D&T to ruin the value,Keep it good to pass on, I had one of these over 50 yrs ago and let it go, Now i wish i would have keep ed it.

Gregory

I don't know where you live, but if you are hesitant to drill and tap it, Walmart sells new Savage MK2 non accutriggers for $137, they are known for being accurate and reliable.
    I live in California, I have never seen a rifle in the stores out here. Yes for when I lived in Georgia and South Carolina but not out here.

I think I'm going to check out the local shop for a new or used Savage. Now the question is 22LR, 22Mag, or .177 (to many questions and not enough money)

Thanks everyone for the advice it's been very helpful

shelbyfan

Actually it is .172 ;D

Gregory

Actually it is .172 ;D
    Thanks for the correction it simply says 17 on the website