Thread: Addicting hobby now want to go hitech

leo158

Addicting hobby now want to go hitech

I see myself buying a RCB chargmaster 1500 and the case prep center next week. This can get expensive. But I know I will save that from buying factory ammo and have pride in knowing I made this ammo myself. I bought 5 boxes of 22-250 remmy 55gr sps At almost 100$. I just reloaded about 199 rnds and I think it cost about 5$ a box. 99 rnds for myself and a 100 for a friend.Since I got my sav 22-250 I am saying I put about 160+ shells thru it. This is about in 2 months maybe. And most have been with in the last couple weeks. I might be replacing my rifle by the end of year maybe. About how many rnds can I put thru a barrel before its in the trash? I am guessing i am under 3700 fps. Thanks all and what a great hobby, Dan

Re: Addicting hobby now want to go hitech

Until I got a 338 Lapua I did not think that reloading saved me one red cent. I always felt that I was just getting more shooting in for the money. That and the fact that I have totally lost track of how many hundreds of dollars I have spent on gadgets, some put into constant use, some not. After buying a 338 Lapua though, I can see the economy in reloading. At $7- a round for match quality ammo I have enjoyed being able to reload it for $1.46 each. Of course it is only economical if you anneal your brass. At $2 plus each for unprimed brass, you best take care of it!
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

Quote Originally Posted by leo158
    I see myself buying a RCB chargmaster 1500 and the case prep center next week. This can get expensive. But I know I will save that from buying factory ammo and have pride in knowing I made this ammo myself. I bought 5 boxes of 22-250 remmy 55gr sps At almost 100$. I just reloaded about 199 rnds and I think it cost about 5$ a box. 99 rnds for myself and a 100 for a friend.Since I got my sav 22-250 I am saying I put about 160+ shells thru it. This is about in 2 months maybe. And most have been with in the last couple weeks. I might be replacing my rifle by the end of year maybe. About how many rnds can I put thru a barrel before its in the trash? I am guessing i am under 3700 fps. Thanks all and what a great hobby, Dan
    This is a very addictive hobby, but also rewarding. I have been loading since 1965 starting out with very simple equiptment. Now I have a basement full of all kinds of gadgets.

I don,t have an RCBS loadmaster but I do have a Lyman 1200 and a Smartloader dispenser. I would recomend looking at the Hornady Lock and load Prep center that has the trimmer built into it, not the small one. I bought the RCBS and it works good but the Hornady is solider, quiter and has the case trimmer also. It is more expensive but is 2 machines in one.

Just some advise from my experince.
    Gordon

nsaqam

You're right about the addicting part.
    My advice however is to skip the Chargemaster or any electronic dispenser and just use a manual powder measure.
    Put the money saved into a Pro Chrono Digital chronograph.
    With practice a manual powder measure is much quicker and just as accurate as an electronic one.
    A decent chronograph (read, not a Shooting Chrony) is a powerful tool.
    Also, invest in one of the many concentricity gauges so you know your loaded rounds are built right.

Basic Member

I use the chargemaster 1500. Love it.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

leo158

Quote Originally Posted by bythebook
    [

I would recomend looking at the Hornady Lock and load Prep center that has the trimmer built into it, not the small one. I bought the RCBS and it works good but the Hornady is solider, quiter and has the case trimmer also. It is more expensive but is 2 machines in one.

Just some advise from my experince.
    Gordon
    That prep center is nice. I might ,well most likely down the road pick one up. I do have my mind set on the chargemaster and the the rcbs prep center will do for now. But that hornady is a good looking machine. I checked it out on youtube. Thanks for the introduction to that machine though. Dan

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam View Post
    You're right about the addicting part.
    My advice however is to skip the Chargemaster or any electronic dispenser and just use a manual powder measure.
    Put the money saved into a Pro Chrono Digital chronograph.
    With practice a manual powder measure is much quicker and just as accurate as an electronic one.
    A decent chronograph (read, not a Shooting Chrony) is a powerful tool.
    Also, invest in one of the many concentricity gauges so you know your loaded rounds are built right.
    I have a Chargmaster and it is awesome...buuuut this ^ is good advice. Also get yourself a set of hornady: overall length gauge (Stoney point), cartridge headspace and bullet comparator to get those tolerence tightened up a bit. Quality reloading is all about consistency not the fanciest gadgets.