Thread: CCI primers didn't go off

leo158

CCI primers didn't go off

Not one but 2 cci primers failed to go off tonight. What are the chances of that? Good solid hits with FP and no go.Friend even through in his 22-250 and click.
    Has anyone ever tried or used wolf primers? My friend said they are half the price of CCI also.Or what brand does some use on here that worked out well? Thanks all. Dan

Basic Member

Re: CCI primers didn't go off

nothing wrong with wolf primers and they seem to be a bit bigger than american primers which allows the use of brass with slightly expanded primer pockets. Just my experience but my es and sd went down with the samw load when I went from cci's to wolf.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Team Savage

wolf is all that i use

drybean

Team Savage

Nothing but CCI in everything. Gone through maybe 10,000 to 15,000 + with no problems.
    Case shoulder pushed back too far, firing pin hits primer, pushes case forward in chamber but firing pin strike is not hard enough to go bang or, primer not set deep enough in pocket??
    Push the primer out of the case. Hit it with a hammer. my bet, BANG!!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Is it possible they could have had any contact with a contaminate? Spray lubes, cleaners, etc.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

leo158

Quote Originally Posted by brtelec
    Is it possible they could have had any contact with a contaminate? Spray lubes, cleaners, etc.
    Straight out of the box onto tray and into primer holder. Never touched with hands or around contaminates.

Team Savage

I've had the same problem with cci primers. The onlyfailure to fire or delayed fire's i've ever had with handloads were with cci's. I use winchester and federal.
    Stu

82boy

I have burned through boxs of 1000, cci primers and never had 1 that would not go off. I have used BR2, BR4, 450, and 400's
    I have used Rem 7 1/2's and find that they are the best primer for my 6 br's. Gone though a few thousand of them and never had one that would not go bang.
    In my 6 ppc's I use Federal 205, and gone though a few thousand of them , and never had one that would not go off.
    In my 22/250's I burned therough thaousands of fed 210's and never had one that would not go off.
    Burned through thousands of Winchester primers, and they are usualy my forst go to primer.
    I shot a couple hundred wolf primers, and did not like them at all, but never had one that would not go off. (Tried them in a 22/250 and got erratic groups, box of 1000 still stiting on shelf.)

Your problem is most likley reloader/shooter error. Either 1 you left a bunch of crud in the primer pocket, (I uniform my primer pockets every firing.) or 2 you did not have them fully seated, or 3 they got contaminated, either by storage, or posible something that touched them. (Oil in the priming tray, spray oil that was sprayed around them, ETC.) Could be the gun, you may have ingition problem, and it is just on the verge of cold fire. Inconsistant ignigtion problems can be caused cause by short travel, did you change the trigger, or anything else in the gun? (IE firing pin, spring, sear ETC)

Last you could have a bad lot of primers, it can happen.

benfranklin

Even after being stored in the garage for 2 years
    every cci has fired...Is you bolt good and clean
    in the fireing pin hole? I have seen some have a bit of
    crud in them...Check it..

leo158

Good solid hits with FP and no go.Friend even through in his 22-250 and click

benfranklin

Well,it could be that they screwed up when they
    were made.This is not a perfect world you know.
    If it is only the two of them,I would say big deal.
    You can always pull the bullets and dump the
    powder...

Team Savage

Could be primer pocket not clean and primer not seated all the way down for the anvil to get good contact on firing pin strike?
    Punch the primer out and hit it with a hammer. That will tell you if it was defective.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

leo158

I am going to try them again. Might of did something wrong or a bad bunch. But will grab another 100 tomorro and see how they work out. Thanks for the replys, Dan

Basic Member

I have had one cci primer fail to go off--I thought
    pulled the bullet and no powder in the shell, primer had fired
    Things happen LOL

Basic Member

My money is going to be on an ignition problem...lack of impact energy.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

mikejmarine

Only time I ever had a cci primer fail on me "nock on wood" it was my fault when I got in a rush and didn't seat the primers far enough into the cases.

I've had five, yes five Remington 9 1/2 primers fail to fire in my 10 FP out of the last 300 or so I've used. I thoroughly clean and uniform my primer pockets, and seat them fully by hand. I've used this same batch of brass (Lapua) in the same rifle with CCI's and Federals and never had a FTF. I have about 200 of the Remington's left, and once they're gone I won't buy any more. These were from a batch of 500 that I bought about 5 years ago, stored in my metal cabinet in an air conditioned room. In fact, the only reason I still have them after all this time is that I stopped using them after my initial loadings with them 5 yrs ago gave me two lemons. Recently I dug them out and decided to give them another try, as they have given good accuracy when they do fire. So I loaded another 50 for my last range outing. Guess what? 3 out of 50 failed to fire, even after multiple attempts to fire them, with the primer dented severely from multiple firing pin strikes. I pulled the bullets when i returned home, and found a normal powder charge. I reprimed them and reloaded them for later use. I wish i would have whacked the primers with a hammer as has been suggested, but judging by how dented they were, i really doubt anything would have happened. There is no way I would use these particular primers for anything except range/plinking rounds. Once they're gone, there will be no more Remington primers in my cabinet. Overall, I have been very disappointed with the (lack of) quality of all Remington components- primers, bullets, brass. Love their rifles, though.

Never had a primer of any other brand fail to fire.

JohnW

I used to have a few problems with primers. But it was ALL MY FAULT. I never touch the primers with my fingers anymore. I never reload for at least 48 hours after I clean my cases in water. I always clean my primer pockets as part of the reload ritual.
    Always make sure the primers are seated all the way down in the pocket.
    Result. No more misfires. And no more dangerous hang fires.

MNbogboy

After 50,000 or so rounds had 5 misfires that I can remember in the last 45 years of reloading....Two of which came in the same week of hunting in the 70s...I picked up my cases out of the snow and unwittingly reloaded them at lunchtime....not knowing they were still wet inside....The others dried out and all fired a couple of months later....The two that didn't made great luck for a couple of whitetails.....

Since the "shortage" I have had 1 win, 2 rem 9 1/2 and 1 cci 200 in 4 different rifles fail to fire, out of about 4000 or so rounds.....My guess is that a push for quantity has shown itself in recent quality...

One comment I read on this post; "Punch the primer out and hit it with a hammer." reminds my of my mischievious days as a youth.....hitting shotgun primers with a hammer on the sidewalk.....A piece of brass pierced my cheek and I ended up spiiting it out...Glad it wasn't my eye!....Just something to think about...

Randy

I bought 10k of the CCI standard small rifle when Cabelas had them on sale a couple of years ago for $20/k. Roughly half of them are gone now from IPSC and High Power and I have yet to have a failed one.

I've gone through a couple thousand of the Wolf SR and the only negative I could find with them is they they felt different when seating then other brands.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    21 years of reloading with CCI primers, and I cannot remember one instance where the primer failed to fire.