Thread: Case Preparation

Deerhunter 28

Case Preparation

I resize,deprime,clean primer pockets then trim if needed.
    I then put brass in tumbler corncob media for a hour or so then reload.

Today I took some brass out of tumbler and noticed some of the media was stuck to the inside of the case.
    Never happen to me before I assumed just old media?
    I took a small allen wrench and lightly scraped the inside of case to release stuck media that wouldn't come out by just shaking .
    I noticed some black/powder type residue that came out with the media?
    Never thought about cleaning the inside of case?
    This brass has been shot 4-7 times already.

How does most people on here clean brass ?
    If inside how?
    Is it necessary to clean inside of brass?

Thanks

PSE EVO 57 Lbs.
    Blacked out

Re: Case Preparation

Media in the flash hole is common, but I can't recall ever finding media stuck to the inside of the case. Did you add some polishing agent that could make your media stick together?
    12 FLV 204 Ruger

Luckus

I don't load in great volumes at one time like prarie dog hunters, and AR guys that like to run lots of rounds down their rifles. I will load up to 80 or so rounds for my 6 Dasher match rifle 4 or 5 times a season, so I rarely use my case polisher. I use a Sinclair shell holder and spin them on a cordless drill a polish the exterior of the case with a mild abrasive pad and use a brush on the inside of the neck. I never clean the interior of the case, as it is a pita and I see no real reason for it. I clean primer pockets with a small screwdriver and inspect the flash hole, I do not drill them out. I set my dies up to get as close to .002 headspace as possible, and make sure neck runout is as close to zero as possible. If the fired case comes out of the chamber with no runout ( or close to it) and after sizing it is more than .002-.003 out of round, either fix the die or get a new one. I have been going to Forster more and more over the years. They will custom hone your sizing die and you can eliminate the expander ball and possibly eliminate runout problems. Trim all cases to the exact length, and prime with an RCBS hand primer that doesn't use shell holders, it works perfect. Set up my old RCBS powder throw and weigh every charge exactly. Seat bullets with a Forster mic seater if I have one for the round I'm loading for, and seat every bullet to the exact length that I have found to work the best. Every rou
    und measured for length to ogive with a caliper and Sinclair nut. I am currently using the 105 Amax in my Dasher, and they are very consistent in length. The mic seater is handy because if you get a long measurement you can turn it in say .001 and check it again. Once you get used to doing this it goes pretty fast. Finally check bullet runout on my Hornady gauge and straighten as needed. It was a lot of rambling, but thats the way I do it.

Deerhunter 28

Quote Originally Posted by xhogboss
    Media in the flash hole is common, but I can't recall ever finding media stuck to the inside of the case. Did you add some polishing agent that could make your media stick together?
    No didn't add anything to media.
    Never seen this before?
    I just assumed media needed changing?

PSE EVO 57 Lbs.
    Blacked out

SMK Shoe

How did you lube the cases. I was getting the same problems and couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I noticed that with hornady one shot lube, media would stick inside ( not enough strong action inside the case during tumbling). So moved to imperial wax for sizing and haven't had a single problem.

cgeorgemo
    I'd move resizing the brass to after you are done tumbling it.
    Use a universal decapper and then throw it in the media before you apply any lube for resizing.

AKShooter
    For accuracy loads I tumble twice, once before prep and again after prep to remove case lube(imperial wax). I notice a couple months ago a piece of media in the bottom a 22-250 case.

My media is well used and needs to be changed, but not to long after I started shooting my m12 and reloading I had a round pop the primer, fell into the mag and jammed the ejector into the bolt, same weather and barrel heat. 35.2 Rl15, 55nbt. Had shot 30 of them previous to that with no problems, made me wonder about media being stuck in the bottom then... dunno. Have shot more of that load since with no problems.

Wrote that one off, I drive myself nuts enough already with thinking about reloading. Giving the media seperator a few more turns nowadays.