Last week at the range. My home rolled ammo that has ALWAYS been reliably accurate in the past is suddenly looking like a buckshot pattern.
using 53.4gr of IMR 4350 with a 150gr Nos BT and I can't get anything to resemble grouping. Now, previous week, I was shooting heavily loaded 168gr Hornady Match bullets with 56.2 of RL-19. I noticed some unusually hard hitting recoil but, paid it no attention. these were the last rounds of that day.
Back to the next week.... My 150's won't group. At ALL. The first thing I considered was the scope. Maybe loose mounts, etc...
Break out the tools. Nope. No problem there.
Then I thought, scope is screwed. It must be internal to my recently purchase Vortex Crossfire. BUT... before I condemn the scope, I take an allen wrench & check the action screws.
WOW.... What jerk made these things so tight? Oh, wait a minute..... That would have been me. But I know I didn't tighten them to the point of having the allen wrench cut my hand when I try to loosen them.
I thought Hmmmm.... Maybe the hot loads from last week had something to do with this. ANyway, I get the action screws loose & re-tighten them. Snug, not tight.
The next 15 rounds fired in 3 round groups are all VERTICAL. Prior to resetting the action screw the groups had a bit more of a horizontal look to them. Now, they're vertical. All of them.

Jump to - back at the farm. I take the rifle apart & look at EVERYTHING with a bright light & magnifying glass. Nothing noted. No cracks, bedding is still where it's supposed to be, recoil lug is there, recoil block is there. Reassemble.

I tightened the action screws snuggly. Forward screw first, then the rear screw. Slowly & sequentially. 1/8 turn each until snug. I'll be going shooting later today if not Saturday. I'm quite curious why this is happening.
Prior to shooting the 168's, the 150's were grouping nicely. Within 3/4 of an inch type groups - After the 168's, I couldn't get 'em together. I really do think the 168's and the associated recoil, which caused me to need a chiropractor the next day, had something to do with the poor grouping & action screws being horribly tight.

Which brings me to why I decided to post this "novel" here at Savage Addiction Central. I figure there's gotta be about 3, 648 years of knowledge & experience with some of the hard core Savage shooters / builders. I thought why should I enjoy this anomaly all by myself. Maybe some of y'all would like to throw your 2 cents in & voice an opinion as to what is / has happened to my prized & beloved Mossy Oak camo, 30.06. The one with the recycled Leggo plastic stock. Let's hear form anyone that didn't fall asleep reading this rather lengthy rant.
Thanks. I do genuinely appreciate any info any of y'all reply with.

Frank in Fla..... (outside, kicking the wall with frustration)