Thread: Planning a 110 build

racerdave34

Planning a 110 build

I have an oppurtunity to go deer hunting in Idaho next year. I have had a 110 30-06 with synthetic stock I bought new around 18 years ago. Not really needing a rifle that large here in NC I have always used my 30/30. Since I'm going to Idaho I have decided to bring it out of retirement and get it ready.
    I'm looking for some advise as to the best things to do with it. I would like to set it up to reach out to 500 yds. The scope won't be an issue. The rifle is stock synthetic with 20" barrel. I plan to bed the stock after I decide if i want a 24" barrel. Hopefully someone can shed some light if I should get a 24. I just picked up a bipod for it and drilled the stock for another lug.
    If I change the barrel then I will replace the recoil lug. Not sure if I want to get a muzzle brake. I have an area where I will be able to practice out to 500 and zero at 200.
    When I get home saturday i'm gonna become a paid member and see whats in the classified section. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Team Savage

Re: Planning a 110 build

shoot it first,ya never know

drybean

My advice, if that is a factory "tupperware" stock on there now, I would get a Duramaxx and bed your action to it. I like the duramaxx for field use and light target work. As far as the barrel, I have a 24" SS magnum tapered '06 with brake and the longer barrel. I find that length and taper to be handy and makes recoil pleasant. The extra 4" should help you reach 500 easier, but 20" will do it.

Sounds like you have a decent plan, my best advice i can give above all else is: work up a good load, and practice, practice, practice.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

racerdave34

Since I have time I want to do something to it. Everything else I have is stock so i feel like doing something special with it. A special hunt deserves a special rifle.

racerdave34

Boots
    Thanks for the advise. I will check out the stock since mine is original.

slaroy

The first thing I would do is shoot the rifle as it is. You might not have to do anything to it at all!

My go to rifle for deer is a factory barrel (and recoil lug) savage in .270 that shoots WAY better than I can past 300 yards.

Here is a list of what I have done and what I recomend you do:
    1. Trigger (a must for me).
    2. New stock(maybe) and bedding(won't hurt).

The best part is that these are easy upgrades and can be easy on the pocket book too. Every time I buy a new action I buy a bell and carlson duramax stock and an aftermarket trigger. Heck, there is a duramax stock in the classifieds now when you get your paid memeber status. As far as triggers go, you will get lots of opinions here, go with what you can afford. I like to "tune up" a factory three screw trigger with a lighter spring or you can get a three screw trigger kit ($35-$40) from Northlander.

Good Luck! -Scott

racerdave34

Thanks Scott for the trigger advise. Hopefully the stock will still be there Sat when I get back home. I was just checking out the Duramaxx stocks. Too bad all the ones I liked were discontinued. I know the gun will out shoot me when I'm done. Too much hunting at 100 yds and less around here. I do plan on doing plenty of practicing before heading out there.

Basic Member

Re: Re: Planning a 110 build

I say if the barrel shoots, run what you brung. I dont think the extra 4" is worth the trouble if that 20"er gets it done. Nothin better than turf'n game with a cheap old ugly Savage next to guys with rifles costing twice as much that shoot half as good ;D

My old faithfull is a 270 factory barrel, bedded factory synthetic stock, tuned 3 screw trigger(ok, I did have the action worked over by Fred, worth every penny, but it didn't make it any more accurate). I even run an old Simmons Aetec just because it wont die and really bugs my pard with the leups :D. It will get me as far out as I ever need & I routinely hunt eastern MT. I like the factory stock, but I would opt out if the bipod due to aforementioned flex problems.

That factory tupperware is pretty dang lite, which I appreciate at the end of the day. Works just fine layin over my pack. If you plan on doing a bunch of walking I highly recomend a Kifaru gun bearer. Makes carrying a rifle all day a breeze.

Good luck on your hunt.

Arky

I have an old 110 in 30-06 with synthetic stock also. All I had to do was put a new trigger in. It shoots 180 gr. Hornady's into a .75 in group. It was 1.75 before that. I do not shoot it that much because it's recoil is more harsh than my 338. That tupperware stock does not soak up any recoil.

stangfish

Buy quality glass that is durable and tracks well. Turrets that are easily adjustable are critical Nothing like a lesser scope malfunctioning on an expensive hunt.

racerdave34

I appreciate all othe infor. I will probably take something from each post and work up a plan. Now that I have become a paid member time to check out the classifieds.