Thread: 12 LRP base and rings

crowe284

12 LRP base and rings

I recently received my new 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor. I have decided on a swfa 16x42 super sniper scope, egw hd o moa base and TPS TSR rings. My problem is that I don't know what height rings to get. I want the set up as low as possible to maintain a good cheek weld without having to buy an adjustable. I contacted swfa today and asked them which height rings they recommended, the super low or the low....they ran some numbers and said that the super low rings should work but they couldent guarantee it due to possible bolt clearance issues, the full bull contour barrel etc. I asked the if I could exchange the rings if they did not work and they said only if the scope was not placed in the rings....if the scope was places in the rings than they would consider them used...How else would I be able to tell if they are going to work without at least gently placing the scope in the rings and checking for clearance? I'm not talking about tourqing anything down or even putting the caps on the rings....but you gotta put the scope in the saddle of the rings at least right? The rings run about 80 bucks which to some might not be a lot but is to me especially if I had to eat it because the rings didn't work. Does anyone have this particular rifle and set up or something similar that could give me some advice? Like I said, eating 80 bucks just to see if the rings might work is not something I want to do.

Basic Member

Re: 12 LRP base and rings

If you can wait just get the EGW rail mounted on the gun. Then place two equal stacks of pennys, about where you estimate the rings would go. Hold the scope on top of the pennys and adjust for eye relief, etc, as you would if they were rings. Add 1 penny at a time until the scope objective clears the barrel. Then be sure you bolt is able to cycle.

When the scope clears just take one of the stacks of pennys and measure the thickness of it using a caliper. Then go to midway.usa, (even if you dont plan on ordering from there), they list the thickness of the rings from where they contact on top of the picatinny rail to the bottom of the scope tube. Find a height that is close as possible but still higher than your stack of pennys. Then your g2g without the trial/error process

pitsnipe

Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30
    If you can wait just get the EGW rail mounted on the gun. Then place two equal stacks of pennys, about where you estimate the rings would go. Hold the scope on top of the pennys and adjust for eye relief, etc, as you would if they were rings. Add 1 penny at a time until the scope objective clears the barrel. Then be sure you bolt is able to cycle.

When the scope clears just take one of the stacks of pennys and measure the thickness of it using a caliper. Then go to midway.usa, (even if you dont plan on ordering from there), they list the thickness of the rings from where they contact on top of the picatinny rail to the bottom of the scope tube. Find a height that is close as possible but still higher than your stack of pennys. Then your g2g without the trial/error process

WOW!!! EXCELLENT ANSWER!!! Learn stuff just readin other folks questions.
    Great advise there.

crowe284

hafejd30....nice!....that sounds like a great thinking mans way of figuring something out. It would be nice to have everything all at once so u could zip it up and head for the range after you got her all buttoned up...but I guess waiting another week for the rings wouldent be so bad......