Thread: Nikon Prostaff

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Nikon Prostaff

Any of y'all have anything on the Nikon Prostaff?
    I just picked up a 4-12x 44mm BDC reticle scope from Walfart out of desperation for a new scope. My cheapo Banner on my 25.06 went kaput. The reticle is rotating while I shoot & it makes it's own POA / POI zero as it feels like.

This is the 2nd time. Bushnell replaced it once for the same problem.

My wife crashed my truck yesterday & I'll need my stash cash for accident incidentals that insurance doesn't cover so ....... It looks like that Vortex Viper will have to wait a little while.

Anyway Walrip had the Nikons on sale for $189 so I grabbed one. Seems like a pretty nice scope & it's my 1st Nikon. Nice glass & the elev. / wind. controls are nice and positive. Pull the knob up to set for zero & all that.

Anyone got anything on these?

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

SMK Shoe

Re: Nikon Prostaff

I have heard good things about the pro staff, but don't have one myself. I do have 5 ( five ) of the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 mil dot from midway. OUTSTANDING scopes for the price. If the pro staff is anything like the buck master you will be more than happy

bill2260

I have a 3x9 prostaff on a model 99 250 savage. Bought it used off ebay and very satisfied witht the scope. Bill

Basic Member

Ya know..... I forgot all about putting this post here..

I've been using the Nikon Prostaff I bought on my '06 & my 25.06 and absolutely love it.

The BDC reticle is pretty cool but, one thing I would change. Make the reticle just a wee bit thinner. It's just a little too fat for small targets & targets with thin lines.

Otherwise, I believe Nikon just went up about 3 positions on my desireable scope list.

Definitely a very nice piece of glass. Clear all the way to the edges at any power, nice knobs, very positive & the pull to zero set is definitely very cool.

Thanks for your 2 cents guys.

Appreciate it

Frank in Fla

nimrod1

I also have a 3x9 prostaff on my 30.06, and I really like it. The optics are very clear and I haven't had a problem with it yet. I had it for about 6 years now, and I swear it rains on opening day every year.

Basic Member

I am SOOooo glad to hear you say your Prostaff is on a 30.06. My '06 has been a real scope destroyer.

In the 2 years I've owned this particular '06, It's eaten a Simmons, a second Simmons that replaced the first. No more Simmons scopes for me - EVER.
    It's eaten a Bushnell and it's the responsible party for traumatising my VOrtex Crossfire. Twice.

Now, I know the 30.06 has a respectable recoil but geezz.... We're not talking 105mm cannon here.

I used the Nikon Prostaff on my '06 last week to take the place of my now deceased Vortex. I like it alot. Great glass. Reticle's a wee bit fat but tolerable.

Knowing that you've been using a Nikon on your '06 gives me hope. Hope that I can actually find a scope that my '06 won't trash...

Frank in Fla

Basic Member

I had one on a 300wm and a 7mag and didnt hurt them at all

Leonardo63

I'm putting a Monarch 8x32-50 fine dot on my Sav build, I've been impressed with Nikon binoculars I've bought previously. I have one set that work almost like night vision. I can see deer in my yard at night not visible with the naked eye, that's impressive to me. I havn't shot it yet but it appears to be very nice. I might be on another planet to some, but spending 7-800 clams on a scope is a big deal to me (that translates into- enough cash for another gun).
    I second the sentiments on Simmons- worst junk I ever wasted money on.....never again. I have some old (Japan made) Tasco's and although the ubber elite will turn thier noses up at the thought, mine are great scopes even a couple decades later. I would't buy what they make today, but I guess I got lucky with what I have.

nimrod1

I put the Nikon on my .06 with the intention of replacing it at a later date with a Leupold. But I like it so much I can't see spending the cash on something that I don't need. If I remember correctly I think I only paid about $150.00 for it too.

Basic Member
    I have three Prostaffs. Two are first model 3x9s-one the original duplex that I bought when they first hit the market and I just got the other with BDC on a Savage Trophy Hunter package. They are solid scopes and a good value. The third is a 2-7 in the new model and all I can say is "Wow". Nikon has definitely raised the bar for high quality entry level scopes. The new model has corrected all the complaints on the old model. It has fast focus, finger adjustable turrets, and much nicer glass. I will have more as the need arises.

Basic Member
    Frank,
    I just added a post about my Viper from CameraLand. I will say this though, in all my hands on tests the ProStaff was the clearest and brightest glass that I looked through before I bought the Viper on faith. The only drawback to the Prostaff was that I wanted higher magnification than what was readily available. The most accurate shooter I know has a 3-9 BDC on a
    .308 Remington tactical and he can shoot penny size 5 shot groups at 100yds. He swears by them, and who could blame him with those results.
    Hope this helps,
    David

Basic Member
    Hey David - I have to agree with everything you just mentioned. I just got my Viper this afternoon. The Nikon glass is brighter & clearer - hands down. If only Nikon had one that went to 16x minimum or 20x would be better for me. I have a severe case of middle age eyesight. Higher power scopes are my only cure.

When I used the Nikon on my '06 after the Crossfire passed away last week, I was most impressed. On the 100yd line it's good for .75" and less with 150gr. Noslers. I would like a little thinner on the reticle, too.

I guess I'll be giving the Viper a good workout this weekend & we'll see how it goes. The way I feel right now..... I believe I'll be saving my pennies for a Nikon with higher magnification, mildot reticle, side focus and anything else their giving for what I can afford.

Thanks for your input.

Later,
    Frank in Fla

Basic Member
    I agree Nikon glass quality is tough to beat for the money when compared to Leupy, Bush, Vortex. After a lot of consideration and comparisons to these brands I just purchased my second factory REFURBISHED Buckmaster from Natchez. They look brand new and you can save over $100 vs new cost for this model; more or less savings for other models based on new cost! FYI I added the Nikon tall target turrets which are advertised only for the more expensive Monarch, but fit the Buckmaster too. A pair cost approx $60 and I am using one each for elevation only on the two scopes. Because of the great saving with refurbished I will be hardpressed to buy new again.

Basic Member
    Hey Charlie -
    I'm glad you brought that up. I buy from Natchez often & get their e-flier sales or a sale booklet everytime I buy from them.I often see some pretty nice Nikon stuff called "Refurbs" and they're much cheaper than the new stuff. I alway wondered if it was worth the savings or did you end up with somebody else's junk that had a good cleaning...

The Nikon scopes I see for sale as refurbished look like some great deals. When the time comes and it'll be pretty soon, I may just go that way. The more I have a look thru that Nikon, the more I feel it was money spent wisely.
    Later,
    Frank in Fla

Basic Member
    excellent scope and the one i was going to get until i decided i needed to get a stock first.. they have very good write-ups.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Hey Charlie -
    I'm glad you brought that up. I buy from Natchez often & get their e-flier sales or a sale booklet everytime I buy from them.I often see some pretty nice Nikon stuff called "Refurbs" and they're much cheaper than the new stuff. I alway wondered if it was worth the savings or did you end up with somebody else's junk that had a good cleaning...

The Nikon scopes I see for sale as refurbished look like some great deals. When the time comes and it'll be pretty soon, I may just go that way. The more I have a look thru that Nikon, the more I feel it was money spent wisely.
    Later,
    Frank in Fla
    supposedly they come with warranty! i have thought about these too and might take it into consideration next scope purchase. why not, if you can save some money? any problems just return it to factory for repairs.
    Last edited by devildogandboy; 07-07-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Basic Member
    If can only speak for the two refurbs I have purchased; they look brand new. Many more brands and models available too. It would be great for any others who have bought the refurbs to comment on their experience.

BubbaLa

Question

bought a refurb monarch from natchez came with a paper stating 90 day warranty. the only mention of a limited warranty on the entire site was for a monarch in 6x18 i think. didn't get that one just for that reason.i have to think they all have 90 day unless stated. the scope seems good though, not shot it much
    Last edited by BubbaLa; 07-01-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Werewolf
    I just found this post. I bought a nikon 3-9 rimfire bdc for my pet 22 lr. When I took it out of the package at my office it was wow, this is a rimfire scope? The quality is every bit as good as their centerfire stuff. We were using it like a telescope to look off the mountain and it was much clearer than our binoculars. I have had it mounted up for a while now and that 22 shoots little bitty groups. To say I am pleased with it is an understatement. The bdc feature is fun to play with on targets, but I dont use it on game.

Basic Member
    Mine still sits atop my Edge looking as proud as the day I put it there. I love the glass on it. If only it had a wee bit higher magnification. I recall the manager at the bullet & scope department in Walmart saying Nikon glass was the best. I guess he never looked thru a Zeiss or Schmidt / Bender....
    It does have nice bright clear glass though...

Frank in Fla.

Werewolf
    HaHa, if he is working at a Wal-Mart I can guarantee he isn't shopping for a Zeiss or a S/B!

But then again, I feel his pain.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaLa View Post
    bought a refurb monarch from natchez came with a paper stating 90 day warranty. the only mention of a limited warranty on the entire site was for a monarch in 6x18 i think. didn't get that one just for that reason.i have to think they all have 90 day unless stated. the scope seems good though, not shot it much
    The first thing I think when I see all those refurbished scopes is, if they are a good scope why do so many of them need to be refurbished and why don't they come with a full warranty. Seems like Nikon and Bushnell are always available. I have had more than enough problems over the years that I can't see me ever buying another Bushnell but the only Nikon I have ever owned was a Buckmaster 6-18 and it was a good scope for the $$ I think but I still have to wonder about the refurbs.

I have never seen Zeiss or Leupold or any of the other well known brands for sale as refurbished and I know there are occasional problems with all of them.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Ya know Bob, you make a real good point....

How come Zeiss, S&B, NightForce, Swarovski, ALL those high dollar glasses ain't got no refurbs?

I have never seen an advertisement showing the big buck scopes discounted for refurbs. Surely they get an occasional returned scope or factory leftovers or warranty returns or SOMETHING?

Kinda makes you wonder....

Frank in Fla