I am looking into building another 243AI for shooting bullets 75gr and less. Primarily 58gr V-Max's but also 55gr Noslers and Blitzkings when I find deals.

Normally I go with the theory of going with a faster twist to give myself more options in bullet weights later should I change my mind. But I wonder if I go with a slower rate of twist will I get a decent gain in velocity?

I am strongly considering a CBI barrel in a 28" or 30" Bull, but I see they are listed as a 8" twist only. I am not dead set on a CBI, but I have had great luck with my 6BR in CBI so might as well stick with what works, but if a 1-14 will get me decent gains, then I will start looking elsewhere. I have had multiple barrels for a single caliber in the past but by coincidence they all had the same twists so I have no 1st hand experience comparing drastic changes in twists on the same caliber.

So I guess my question is: Since a 1-14" should easily stabilize 58gr bullets, how much am I going to gain in velocity if I go with a 1-14" over the 1-8"? (assume all variables are equal other than twist)

My current 243AI is a 26" Savage SS Fluted 243 barrel that was rechambered and has the 1-9.25" twist and it shoots the 58's great, but I am just wondering if I can get more from a slower twist or just stay with a faster twist and quit worrying about it ???