Thread: Question about my reloads and factory ammo at 100yrds

leo158

Question about my reloads and factory ammo at 100yrds

I shot really nice groups tonite from useing 35 grains of IMR 4064 and 55 sp sierra boat tails. I shot about 3/4 inch below the bull. I then shot a factory ammo that I sighted in with before I started reloading. It is sighted to hit about a inch high and still is with factory ammo. Does that mean my reloads are going slower than the factory rounds since it is shooting allmost 2 inches lower than the factory ammo sight in? Thanks, Dan

skypilot

Re: Question about my reloads and factory ammo at 100yrds

Possible, but more likely just different barrel harmonics causing a different barrel orientation as the (reload)bullet exits the muzzle.

gotcha

+1 for skypilot................... A different bullet of same weight can require a sight adjustment. Powders also have different burn rates causing more recoil from faster powders. W/O a crono comparison take a look at pressure signs between R/L's & factory. If accuracy is your goal adjust powder chgs for best accuracy then adjust bullet seating depth to fine tune. Yes your load could be slower. But you can control that variable. Please do it safely :)

Basic Member

I've never really been too concerned with how fast my bullets are flying out of my barrel. I'm far more interested in shooting really tight groups at different ranges. As others have said bullets of the same weight but different design do fly differently.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

skypilot

Dan, as an after thought, generally vertical dispersion won't be detectable / meaningfull at short distances. Im speaking of the kind of dispersion you worry about when reloading.
    I try to do my load developing at the expected maximum range that I expect to shoot and hardly ever less than 400+ yds.

As PS97 mentioned, I don't concern myself too much about velocity. I am really particular though about any vertical POI on my CCB and FCB shots though.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot
    Dan, as an after thought, generally vertical dispersion won't be detectable / meaningfull at short distances. Im speaking of the kind of dispersion you worry about when reloading.
    I try to do my load developing at the expected maximum range that I expect to shoot and hardly ever less than 400+ yds.

As PS97 mentioned, I don't concern myself too much about velocity. I am really particular though about any vertical POI on my CCB and FCB shots though.

Regards
    +1. Though velocity is not a great concern (other than if the bullet will stay sonic at 1000 yards) I do pay close attention to the Standard Deviation and Extreme Spread.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

benfranklin

what about the wind..I have found a faster mover is less effected by the wind
    as is a boat tail verus a flat base..

cgeorgemo

Quote Originally Posted by benfranklin
    what about the wind..I have found a faster mover is less effected by the wind
    as is a boat tail verus a flat base..
    Of course it all comes down to what the difference in velocity is and what the two velocities are. If you are comparing a bullet moving at 3400 fps to one moving at 3200 fps the difference in flight time out to 300 yds is just .016 seconds. Unless you are shooting in a tornado that isn't going to make much of a difference.

leo158

Regards
    I need a little help to decipher what you wrote there. And what is CCB and FCB?
    I live in the areas of PA. where it would be hard to see 350yrds and that includes on powerlines and gas ways. We got alot of rolling hills here. Thanks, Dan

skypilot

Quote Originally Posted by leo158

Regards
    I need a little help to decipher what you wrote there. And what is CCB and FCB?

I live in the areas of PA. where it would be hard to see 350yrds and that includes on powerlines and gas ways. We got alot of rolling hills here. Thanks, Dan
    Sorry Dan,
    I should have added Clean Cold Bore and Fouled Cold Bore. Probably more of a concern or interest to hunters rather than say bench rest competitors.

Regards
    Rand