Thread: Just bought my first press.

Basic Member

Just bought my first press.

Hello,
    Have been looking to get into reloading for a while, and I came across what I thought was a good deal on CL.
    It is a Lee Challenger single stage kit with lots of extra accesories, bullets brass and such. Maybe not the greatest press ever but I figured a good start at a low price. It came with some dies I needed and some I did not. The things I am looking for right now are dies for .308win and a set of calipers. Also Iwould like to reload 9mm, but I don't know if that press will reload handgun ammo?
    I was hoping for recommendations or even a heads up from anyone who might have some extra equipment they would be willing to part with.
    Few questions:
    1) should I pay the extra money for carbide dies?
    2) it came with a lyman 1500 digital scale. Is that a decent scale for precisely measuring powder?
    3) the dies I don't need are 300win mag, .243, and .270, plus brass and bullets. Should I try to trade them off or just keep them and buy the dies I need?
    Comments wanted,
    David.

jeffreyC

Re: Just bought my first press.

Yes, the Lee Challenger will load handgun ammo.

Yes, carbide dies are well worth the money.

If you KNOW that you will never need the dies, brass, bullets for the .300 Win Mag, .243, and .270, then trade them off.
    But if you decide later that you want them you may not get a good deal on them.

I strongly recommend you get the stainless steel case cleaning system, it costs more upfront but works better than any other.
    Deprime the cases first and the entire case is cleaned.

nsaqam

I loaded thousands of rounds on a Lee Challenger. They ain't pretty but they work well.

Never loaded a single pistol cartridge so I'm no help there but carbide dies eliminate the need to lube your cases and for me that's a good enough reason to get them.

I've tried several digital scales and I much prefer a regular balance beam scale. Most of these work fine, even the cheap Lee Safety Scale. I like my RCBS 5-10 better though. The RCBS 10-10 is also good.

A good powder measure is indispensable. I've used most of them out there and I prefer my old Lyman 55 the most.

For a trimmer I like the Lee system the best. Cheap too.

The cheap China calipers work surprisingly well but I use a Mitutoyo.

For FL die sets I like the seater in the Hornady New Dimension sets and the Forster. For the FL die itself Redding makes a very nice product but any of them will work fine. I'd strongly suggest that you buy a Lee Collet Die (LCD) for your .308. You'll find that you only rarely FL size if you have the LCD. These just work spectacularly and no lube required.

If you have some .243 brass and 6mm bullets I'd like to hear what you want for them.

That Lee press will probably give you years of good service.

I agree with the comments here, carbide dies are worth every dime of the additional cost. I have used both and not having to lube pistol cases will save you so much time.

I use a digital scale but always check it against a traditional beam scale.

If you know that you are not going to use the dies and brass that you acquired I would trade them for something useful, like a beam powder scale. I used to keep all the all my dies and components even after I no longer loaded for a particular caliber. I ended up with stacks of stuff that was nothing more than clutter. I get rid of anything I do not use currently. It keeps my reloading room neat and uncluttered and I find that after loading for a particular caliber, I know whether or not I am going to shoot that caliber again in the future. I figure if the caliber did not impress me enough to keep it why would I buy another one.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Don't sell that Lee set short. I think you'll find it quite reliable & fun to use. Keep the ram clean & oiled to maintain consistant pressure for bullet seating & resizing. The carbon from decapping likes to get stuck between the ram & the frame.

Lee customer service has been great to deal with for repalcing things that broke with or without my help.

I load for 4 pistols with carbide dies. They work great. I load for 4 rifle calibers. All with Lee stuff an NO complaints.

Full size dies in my set up haven't been getting much of a work out since I started neck sizing.

I would use the stuff you don't need for trading material OR hang on to it if you don't need the money. You never know what's coming down the 'pike & you may need them...

AND... most importantly - Read, read, read a little more, ask a few questions then, go back to reading. When you've finished reading, stop be here again & some of the guys will tell you what else to read.

You're going to find that just about the time you think you have a grip on things..... you don't & you learn something else that's critical to what you're doing. SOOoooo... then you go back & read some more.

Lastly & most importantly, enjoy! Reloading your own ammo is more fulfilling than you can imagine. It's fun, it's economical, it's science & it's something not everyone can do.

Have fun & read.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

nsaqam

I completely agree with FGW regarding how little a guy FL sizes stuff after he tries neck sizing.

I did laugh when FGW said that reloading is economical though. It is of course but I have found that I don't save a bunch of money since there are always new bullets, cases, powders and primers I just HAVE to try!
    I also find that I shoot a whole lot more when I reload.
    That's a good thing!

Basic Member

LOL. Ive got a better one than that. I'll buy a set of dies so I can justify building the rifle

I have to agree with nsaqam about the economy of reloading. When I went to buy my first press 25 years ago at a store in Virginia called Greentops, the guy at the counter told me " This is not going to save you a single penny in ammo. You will just get to shoot more for the money you are currently spending. " Truer words were never spoken.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

Basic Member

I have already had those thoughts regarding the dies. I was in the gun store yesterday looking at a .243 remington 700 with a NIKON monarch 2.5-10 on it. They wanted 450 for it and I was thinking "oh I should get that since I have a 30$ die for that.caliber already". I am glad I'm not the only one having those thoughts.
    David

If you go with the stainless steel case cleaning just know that it's to be used with a tumbler,not a vibratory type machine.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member

C'mon guys.... Don't discourage him so soon.
    It really is economical. See what you'd spend if you had to pay retail cost for all the ammo you shoot. What you refer to is the addiction taking over all rational thought where you make decision like buying a $750 rifle because you have a crimp die & 10 pieces of brass on hand. See... already it sounds rational... to me, anyway ::)

I think if he's gone as far as looking & buying pieces of equipment, he's already hooked. Wait until the first range report from him.

But honestly, it really is economical. It's up to you to control the habit.... er ahh,,I mean expense

Gotta clean barrels & load some for tomorrow. I just finished shooting 245 rounds thru 4 different rifles, now I'm out & starting to feel the withdrawl symptoms kick in..... My palms are sweaty.... I can smell gunpowder....AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHAAAAAAAAAAA AAHHHHH

LaTeR....
    Frank in Rehab.... I mean Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by keeki
    LOL. Ive got a better one than that. I'll buy a set of dies so I can justify building the rifle
    I just got a set of .338/06 dies for that very reason ;D
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

cgeorgemo

Re: Re: Just bought my first press.

I'm looking at getting a Thumlers tumbler and some stainless media from MidwayUSA.com in late June. Wish I had done it years ago. I hate the dust and mess of the traditional media.

cgeorgemo

Re: Re: Just bought my first press.

I'm looking at getting a Thumlers tumbler and some stainless media from MidwayUSA.com in late June. Wish I had done it years ago. I hate the dust and mess of the traditional media.

jeffreyC

cgeorgemo,

You should look at Sinclair/Brownells for the tumbler and stainless pins, they have them for less.

Basic Member

Speaking of online purchases... Where would guys consider the place to find the best deals on dies, and accessories?
    I try to check out midway, cabela's, and brownells. Who else am I missing?
    Thanks,
    David

Basic Member

I did pretty well ar Natchez Shooters Supply. They have most everything I wanted / needed and the price was pretty good, too. Check them out online. I think it's Natchezss.com.

Good luck withyour new toy & have fun. The fun is the most important part anyway.....

Frank in Fla

dfwbob

Also try midsouthshooterssupply. They have about the best price on powder and primers that I have found.

8 pounds of IMR-4895 is usually around $ 142.00.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Basic Member

Natchez has great deals, but not for AL GA or TN. Don't know why. By the time I drove to there place the savings would be minimal. I will try midsouth .
    David
    PS Frank where are you in FL? I grew up in Santa Rosa county.