Thread: EGW HD mounts

nimrod1

EGW HD mounts

I have a new Savage model 12 VLP DBM, I just ordered a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40 long range scope for it. I have been researching rings and bases and I think I have settled on a set. The base is EGW HD picatinny rail
    , and the rings are EGW HD Tactical rings. They look solid and strong, Plus they are made within 30 miles of my house which is important to me.The only thing that I question is they are made of aluminum. I never used anything but steel in the past. Does anyone have experiance with these mounts. I'm sure they are strong since they are aircraft grade aluminum, but I would like to hear from someone who knows better than me. Thanks. By the way, the savage is in .22-250 if that makes a difference.

Aircraftmech76

Re: EGW HD mounts

Something to think about when considering aluminum vs. steel: the scope is made of aluminum. If you put steel rings around it, the two expand/contract at different rates due to the differences in metallurgy. I've moved all my rings to aluminum. Even Leupold makes their Mark 4 rings in an aluminum version now.

Kevin

(Burris and Vortex tactical rings user)

nimrod1

I never gave that a thought, its something to think about. thanks.

nimrod1

Noone has used these rings and bases? ???

Tesla

I used the EGW HD 20 MOA mount with Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm Low rings to mount a Hawke Sidewinder 30 6.5-20 scope on my Savage 10 fcp-k in .308.
    The combination has enabled me to shoot groups under 0.5 inches at 300 yards.

nimrod1

Thanks for the replies, I went and ordered the EGW rings and bases, in fact I received them in the mail on Monday. The only problem is my scope is still not in. They told me maybe up to 2 month wait. :'(

Leonardo63

Good choice on the mounts and rings. fyi-I just looked at some of my favorite shopping sites and that scope is in stock all over the place. Don't understand the 2 month wait???? It would have to be one heck of a good deal to wait that long for anything.

Those bases are very nice. You have nothing to worry about.

Havent used the rings yet, but thats because i try to use Burris Signature Zees exclusively.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

nimrod1

I ordered the scope from my local gun shop. I try to give them all my business. The scope was $885.00 + tax. I don't mind the wait too much because I just had rotator cuff surgery on May 1 st and I wont be able to shoot for a little while anyway. That being said I would like to have the scope in my hands, but it will get here.