Thread: scope base screw specs

scope base screw specs

Greetings steamy sweaty west michigan, I am working on putting scope bases on my LPRVs (204, 22-250) dual ports, and I am using el cheapo weaver 2 piece mounts,
    the screws provided by the weaver is bit too long for the screw hole closest to the barrel, I had the same problem with other bases both for savages and EGW etc.

I want to get an assortment of screws of different length with the correct thread pitch,
    What are the specs for the scope base screw thread pitch?
    newbie from gr, mi.

ellobo

Re: scope base screw specs

Any scope base I have had came with screws 2 of which were shorter than the other two. Reverse yours and see what happens.

El Lobo

nsaqam

6-48

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    Any scope base I have had came with screws 2 of which were shorter than the other two. Reverse yours and see what happens.

El Lobo
    yeap, used the shorter screws but the front one touches the threads of the barrel,
    newbie from gr, mi.

Grip one screw w/vise grips and take a couple threads off with the grinder or a file. Thats what I use.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member

The front ring on a Savage action is ~.170" thick, this included the threads.
    6-48 screws are ~.021" per thread, 5 threads in the action is more than adequate, so screws that protrude ~.100" below the scope base will hold the base and not bugger up the barrel threads.
    joe b.

Basic Member

I also do as 243 said. If the screw is left too long, not only could it damage the barrel threads, but the screw will not draw the scope

base down snugg and can cause accuracy problems. Good Luck-Good Shooting ..... Jim

Thanks guys, keep atleast 5 threads and grind off the excess, even I can do that,
    I will give it a shot tonight!
    newbie from gr, mi.

John_M

Stockrex, Here is something you might consider purchasing for your rifle maintenance/cleaning area: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235...package-of-150

I purchased this kit about a year ago and have found it invaluable for finding just the right scope base/ring screws for myself and others. While you're at it you might also consider one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/495...rewdriver-t-15
    For the record: I have no financial or other interest in Midway USA. It is one of MANY good suppliers to the shooting/reloading fraternity.

This Torx 15 (T-15) driver fits all the leupold (and probably some other) scope base and ring screws. I have two of these T-15 drivers-one for my maintenance/cleaning area and one for my reloading area.

Good luck. :)

John, thanks a bunch, I was looking for an assorted screw pack,
    I agree, it will be invaluable, I learned the hardway last year before heading out to CO for Elk that OEM screws may not fit always, I had to take my BAR to my smith and they found shorter screws that would not bind up the bolt, not to mention it was $2 a screw. EGW did send out new screws on their dime.
    newbie from gr, mi.