Thread: Benchrest

brucear77

Benchrest

Does anyone Benchrest these Savage Mark ll and if so how are they doing

cheap22

Re: Benchrest

I posted on your other post.hope you read it.Love my BTV,it shoots great.And it shoots inthe 230's on an USBR target.You can look on Rimfire shooters and go under Sheffield benchrest and see the scores. Ulus ;D

dksac2

Yes, I shoot a couple, I have a MK1 For Sale, Savages make very good BR rifles. You may not keep up with the expensive BR models, but I have seen local matches won with Savage 22 LR.
    They take some work and tuning, but once you find the right combo, they can shoot into the .2's to .3's on a good day @ 50 yds, 5 shots.
    Much depends on you, your BR set up and scope.
    My Best, John

82boy

I built a full bore bench rest rifle out of a Savage MKII. O' it is sharp, got a custom built stock pillar bedded, rides the bags like a dream, worked the Accu-trigger to break crisp and under 1 lbs, let a lone all the other work done. It just has problems kepping up with with the old tried and true 52 Winchester, 54 Anshutz, and 40x's. It shoots good, might do better with a custom barrel. (More work and money than I am willing to put into it.) It just sits in the asfe and collects dust. It tried selling it once never could get a single bight, (Had it up on 3 sites.)had it priced at what someone could buy a new high end Savage MKII for. (Around $400.) I think that says it all. Here is some pictures of it.

Basic Member

that's a thing of Beauty
    Forgive My Sins.... Jesus .... Save My Soul

dksac2

I'll second the prior opinion, a beautiful rifle.

Bottom line, a Savage in almost all cases won't shoot consistantly with a better target 22 rifle. I shot one perfect group at 50 yds, 5 shots, but have never been able to back it up.
    The barrel is really the biggest limiting factor in Savage accuracy followed by some smaller deficiencies in the action. By the time you spend the money to up grade a Savage, you could buy a better target rifle.

My gunsmith has had some good luck re barreling, threading the action and barrel etc, but it costs $$$ and in the end, if you want to shoot serious BR, buy a better rifle.

If you want to shoot local matches, accurizing a Savage that has shown good potential as far as having a good barrel and if you are a very good shot, you might do OK.

If money is limited, you could have a lot of fun with a Savage at local matches, may win some or at least place well, but the guys with the better target rifles will usually win at the end of the day.
    Better to save for a good Anny or other rifle, there are some good deals on used one's but beware, some may need new barrels to get the winning edge.

My Best, John

Basic Member

Man that is nice 82Boy. How did it shoot?

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by teebirdhyzer
    Man that is nice 82Boy. How did it shoot?
    It shoots good. Shot some group at 50 yards that was under .5 shot it at 100 yards, and it shot well. Just lost interest, and never played with it all that much.

JohnW
    I just bought a Savage .223 for my local bench-rest shooting group. And I have been thinking about buying a Savage .22Lr for the rim-fire competition. The above rifle is a great looking rifle. My question is. Is it harder changing barrels on the Savage .22Lr's than it is on the center-fire rifles? And what model Savage .22Lr is the best target rifle?
    Last edited by JohnW; 07-19-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: site burped.

JCalhoun
    The Savage rimfires use a pressed fit barrel. They are not threaded like a centerfire rifle.

All of the .22lr's use the same receiver (some are single shot), and barrels are the same. The only real difference is the stocks they come with.

82boy's rifle is a steal at that price. Way nicer than anything coming from the factory. Note: I'm in no way trying to sell his rifle!

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    82boy's rifle is a steal at that price. Way nicer than anything coming from the factory. Note: I'm in no way trying to sell his rifle!
    Thank you,
    You would be suprised how many people think that $400 for everything is too much, all I can say is try to find a stock like that for under $400, (Just the stock alone, nothing else.) it just is not going to happen. Let alone all the hours vested in this stock with finishing, pillar bedding, with the metal trigger guard, and bottom metal, should add to the cost.

260 Striker
    I just bought this gun from Patrick. If anyone out there thought about buying it you just missed out on a great deal. This thing is beautiful and the work is outstanding. I have never felt a trigger on any rifle as good as what Patrick put on this Acutrigger. I can't believe someone didn't snatch this up but I'm sure glad I got it.

Lt.Dan
    I have a MK2 that all I did was add a Boyd's stock and BSA premier scope with an EGW rail and it shoots 1MOA at 100 reliably. I also use Wolf match extra ammo. This is the most accuracy rimfire I have ever owned.