Thread: Questions about building a 7mm tcu?

uad7116

Questions about building a 7mm tcu?

I have been thinking of building a 7mm TCU on a savage action, but I have a couple of questions before I bite the bullet and start this build. Has anyone here built one of these on a savage action? What action should I use? I want a repeater but I don't think the cartridge will fit in the mag on a .223 action, maybe a 22/250 action with .223 bolt head and some mag tweaking. Any advice is appreciated, and I know i could probably do a ton of other cartridges, but I just want a 7mm TCU. Thanks Kris

cgeorgemo

Re: Questions about building a 7mm tcu?

I believe the mag cutout on the action is the same for .223 and 22-250. Or at least it used to be on the stagger-feed blind mag rifles. Not really sure on the new center-feed rifles.
    If I'm right and the cutout is the same then it's just a job of finding the correct mag to go with your 7mm TCU.
    The dimensions on the 7mm TCU look close enoughto a .223 that I'd say tweaking a .223 mag would be easier than the 22-250 mag.

Grit #1

All the 7 TCU is is a .223 necked up to 7mm. Shot the round often when I shot NRA Hunters Pistol 30 years ago. Used a TC Contender. The 6mm TCU might be a better choice for a rifle build. Use a fast twist 1:8.
    Best regards,
    Grit

Eric in NC

I have one on a Stevens 223 stagger feed action. It won't fit in the mag with 130+ grain bullets but that is fine with me (only shoot it single shot anyway).

Grit #1

If your rifle's mag. well is like my Mod 12 you can remove the dam in the mag well and have enough length to run a 308 base cartridge.
    Best regards,
    Grit

uad7116

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the input. I haven't purchased a action yet cause I was concerned about the cartridge fitting in the mag and I do want a repeater. I think the .223 action would be the easiest to build and do some mag mods to get it to fit. Eric in NC if possible could you give me some OAL of your loaded rounds? I just wanted to use the numbers as a reference so I can kinda have a idea on what kind of mag modifying I might be looking at. Thanks again for the help, Kris.

goob

I have one in 6.5 tcu. I removed the dam and it loads the long 140's fine

Gene R

What kind of velocities do you guys get with 6.5 and 7mm tcu on Savage rifles? Just curious as I have a T/C Contender 7mm TCU w/10". On a side note I thought it would be a cool caliber to have in a bolt or ar platform(don't know that it would work in anything but ar10 platform) w/surpressor. OP, ever think of surpressor with your build, not to be a mall ninja or tacti-cool just mid range coyote or varmit gun?

Gene

uad7116

Im curious on the velocity's too and what length barrel? I didn't consider the surpressor ( I dont think they are legal in MN ) but it would definitely be considered if I could!

Eric in NC

Getting around 2,600 fps with 130 grain SMKs and around 2,300 fps with 168 grain SMKs - that is with a 24" barrel.

Had the barrel throated so the shank of the 130 grainer is flush with the case neck when kissing the lands. Don't have OAL info handy but there is no way it would fit in the 223 mag without taking the spacer out.

Really fun little cartridge but the 7mmBR smokes it on accuracy, velocity, ease of finding good loads, etc. Only thing it doesn't shine in is cost of brass.