Thread: Model 5 is finished, reblue & stock done, photo heavy

tpd211

Model 5 is finished, reblue & stock done, photo heavy

I refinished a old 1937 Model 5 I picked up at a gun shop a few months ago. How do I know its 1937? Someone etched 4/3/1937 on the butt plate.

I refinished the stock with tung oil & wax. It was heavy oiled prior to refinishing. The bluing was spotchy and the barrel was pitted in spots on the surface from rust. I removed all bluing with naval jelly and then sanded the barrel & receiver. I used a fine cloth sand paper and 0000 steel wool to get almost all of the bluing off, bringing the metal to a good shine. I dremel buffed bringing the barrel to a decent shine.
    Brake cleaner, then Wonder Blue Gun Cleaner and a propane torch to get all the gung out of the pores of the metal.

I used 44/40 gun blue as that was available.

Put on rubber gloves.

I started with 44/40 applying it with steel wool. It started to go on fine then it started to splotch on me. The oils in the steel wool messed up the 44/40. No problem, I switched to a clean cotton t-shirt, applying the 44/40 with that. The 44/40 went on smooth, turning a nice uniform dark color. I did numerous layers, letting it dry then softly wiping it down with the steel wool or a paper towel between layers. The last 2 layers I did not buff between the layers, instead letting it dry then applying a second layer over the top of the coating on it. I let it dry, then I lightly buffed it with steel wool soaked in CLP oil.

A nice blue sheen came forth that is decent enough for me.

AS BOUGHT

Re: Model 5 is finished, reblue & stock done, photo heavy

Very nice job!

Only one thing, thats actually an old model 5S. See that farthest hole towards the back of the receiver? That used to be where the special peep sight was for that gun, I've got a model 7 that still had the old sight with it when I bought it. Looks like this.

[img width=429 height=450]http://www.koprash.ca/maddog/model%207%20peep%20sight.JPG[/img]
    Savage- "never say never".

tpd211

Re: Model 5 is finished, reblue & stock done, photo heavy

Good info, thanks.