Thread: Internal Box Magazine on Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock Not Staying in Place

Basic Member

Internal Box Magazine on Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock Not Staying in Place

So I initially made due with a quick install of my Choate Ultimate Varmint stock on my 10FXCP3 package rifle. During the install I noted that the aluminum/metal portion in the new stock lacked the notches that the stock tupperware had for the L-bracket that helps to secure the internal box mag. I didn't think it would be a problem because I was screwing down the action on top of it through a main pillar. Well after a while I noticed that the internal box magazine would "slide up" in the stock, which didn't allow my bolt to cross the magazine, and I would have to force the magazine back down into place (where it would stay for a while). Now that I'm finally installing my new heavy barrel this weekend and have the rifle apart again, I want to get the job done right. How can I secure the internal box magazine into the Choate stock?

Should I slightly bend the L-bracket? Epoxy? JB-Weld?

I should also mention that the slight movement of the L bracket has already started "filing away" at the aluminum block, and there is a small amount of aluminum that has come out from the scratching of the piece on the L-bracket that should be locked into a "v-notch."

Any assistance/picture/how-to would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!

Basic Member

Re: Internal Box Magazine on Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock Not Staying in Place

P.S. - in all my searching, I found one thread where another person experiences the same problem, but no solution was ever posted.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287525

You could always put a shim between the side of the mag box and the mag opening in the stock. I know some other people have bedded the mag box in with epoxy with good results, but epoxy would make it hard to ever remove the mag again in-case of malfunction or whatever.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

I have used JB weld epoxy putty with good succes ( this comes in a tube and you cut off a piece and mash it together to mix the two parts)
    put about a 3/8" dia piece of the putty in each corner of the mag cut out, do not compress the putty, you want the mag to compress it to fit
    Install the mag in stock (withou the spring) , do not push the mag down completley--be sure to use a relaease agent on the mag corners, I used kiwi clear shoe polish

Install the action on the stock looking to make sure the mag is lined up and tighten down, pressing the mag into the putty
    This only takes a few minutes and you want to remove the mag before the putty sets up hard to remove any excess putty that might have oozed up and out
    Finished product leaves you with 4 corners in the mag well that fit the magazine corners very well
    If you mess up, take a screw driver and pop the epoxy out of each corner and try again

If the new stock does not have the cut out for the L-bracket and you are using it, the action might be high in the back and not fitting the stock and also could put unwanted stress on the action.
    You will not need the bracket with the putty in the mag well

I hope this helps
    Jack