Thread: 338 Edge

338 Edge

ive been wanting to get one of these for awhile but just havent taken the plunge. looks like a 1:10twist is common, with 28"-30" tube. ive seen the price on the bullets...ouch! but i doubt id shoot it too much. i have serveral 1mile shots to test it out on and ive made 1mile shots with my 7wsm & 300rum, its just that this 338edge would do it with alot more energy!
    so what should i go with? brand, twist, length?
    ive read where some people have had good luck with the mcgowens(theyd probably be the cheapest/quickest to get)

im planning on putting this on a short action large shank(thats how my 300rum is set up)

jeffreyC

Re: 338 Edge

If you are going to shoot a mile wouldn't you want a better quality barrel ?

From a company with a better reputation and better customer service ?

McGowen is not owned by the people who started it and built its reputation, the current owners seem to be working hardest on ruining that reputation.

If you want to hit something a mile away you should use the best barrel that you can get.

Hitting at a mile takes a lot of practice, you should rethink not shooting this rifle much.

if you go to the defensive edge website and look at shawn carlocks rifle packages you will find out what he is using

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyC

McGowen is not owned by the people who started it and built its reputation, the current owners seem to be working hardest on ruining that reputation.
    true, i should probably go with brux. theyre at the top of a lot of peoples list.
    who should i have build a brux? Sinman?

jeffreyC

Sin Arms has a good reputation with Savage rifle fans, and Brux barrels are good, he also has Rock Creek barrels and maybe Lothar Walther barrels.

Northland is good too, and he carries Criterion barrels as well as Shilen. Jim is very knowledgeable and helpful.

There are many choices for barrels and several are good for long range.

i sent sinman an email on a brux, who knows if ill hear back from him. lol

Quote Originally Posted by joe h
    i sent sinman an email on a brux, who knows if ill hear back from him. lol
    Phone is the best way to get a hold of Sinman. He gets flooded with emails and PM's.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

leatherlunger

What is sin arms best contact number?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyC

If you want to hit something a mile away you should use the best barrel that you can get.

Hitting at a mile takes a lot of practice, you should rethink not shooting this rifle much.
    Are you speaking from experience? How did your 338 Edge McGowan shoot?

My 338 Edge McGowan barrel shot fantastic. So good it was boring.

Actually, all of my McGowan barrels have.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

D.ID

Both my mcgowens are good to go. Very pleased.

Are you speaking from experience? How did your 338 Edge McGowan shoot?

My 338 Edge McGowan barrel shot fantastic. So good it was boring.

Actually, all of my McGowan barrels have.
    Well, since the ice has been broken . . .

I agree with the above two statements!

Just to show, below is a 300yd picture of my target using my McGowen 338 Edge! I have several other McGowens that will shoot the same groups or better as this one does! I personally have never had a problem with McGowen! I have heard of several going a mile with the 338 McGowen Barrel! I love mine!

[B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

JoeH, I think I received several PM's from you during the transistion. Also, I unexpectly experienced medical issues during this time and it put me out for almost two months. If you have any questions, just let me know. Dennis

Basic Member
    Don't over look Benchmark Barrels. They put out a great barrel as well.

I have McGowan 358 win barrel which shoots great as well. I wouldn't hesitate to get another McGowan.
    Andrew

Basic Member
    I have a 338 edge built on a Savage 110 action. I shoot it single shot. It has a Pac-nor 3 groove 1" bull barrel 30" long. Great shooting! 1/4 MOA is the norm and a few in the .1s when I do my part. Cleans super easy.

The Edge is a great round. I'm shooting the 300SMK at 2825fps with H-1000, rem brass and CCI 250 primers.

Go for it! I'm sure any of the barrels out there are good for this round

BT

Basic Member
    I too have a McGowen and no complaints so far.

Duramax33
    I have been thinking hard about building one of these the Biggest hold back for me is where is everyone getting Brass at. I haven't seen any .300 RUM brass for a good while. Is it worth buying the .338 Edge brass from DE?

I have bought brass from Defensive Edge and so far it's working great.

Hope this helps

Dennis

this is an old thread. just to let everyone know i went with a 28" mcgowen barrel, large shank varmint contour.
    how does it shoot? its impressive id say! 91gr h1000 with the 300gr berger hunting bullet is awesome. 7" group at 920yards and holding for no wind. these heavy 338 bullets laugh at the wind.
    fun caliber but expensive to shoot.

I would love to shoot mine in a 600 match. I would if my shoulder could handle it. But it would be interesting to try it once.

Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-22-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Basic Member
    I love hearing that the Mcgowen Barrels are shooters. I havent tired them yet but I am considering an Edge build here in the future. I have a 300 RUM that I havent shot yet that needs to be rebarreled and just last night I saw the Mcgowen's with the breaks..... Thanks for the info guys.

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]Joe I have built three 338 edges two on savage actions and one on a Remington 700 with cdi bottom metal all are great shooters ive use Shilen #5 contours 28 CM 1in10 twist and a Bartlen 1 in 9.5 30 inch SS here are the pics of the the savage is a 110 action and are set up as single shots. the Remington is a repeater
    Last edited by wilpenny; 01-12-2014 at 12:50 PM. Reason: pics

I also have a 338 edge, it is a Remage set up, mine is a McGowen 32" 10 twist, It shoots better than I ever will, which is fine by me, I only shoot Barnes TTSX 160gr out of it, with 105gr of RL17 and a end result of 4200+ FPS and sub 1/2 inch groupings, I am not even remotely interested in looking at exploring other loads, I have not seen any difference in accuracy between the Rem brass and the Defensive Edge brass, although I seem to be able to get more cycles out of the Defensive Edge brass.

Dean

For the sake of full disclosure, two other shooters both shot the sub 1/2 groupings, I have never been able to duplicate that, although there is hope for me, my first shot is always more in the center of the bulls eye than there's, it just goes down hill from there,
    Last edited by scope eye; 01-13-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Duramax you can use 375 rum necked down or 7mm rum up 300 rum I just bought 100 rounds of rem brass from bass pro shop so you do have more options out there the 338 rum case length is shorter not up to specs Wilpenny