I refinished a old 1937 Model 5 I picked up at a gun shop a few months ago. How do I know its 1937? Someone etched 4/3/1937 on the butt plate.

I refinished the stock with tung oil & wax. It was heavy oiled prior to refinishing. The bluing was spotchy and the barrel was pitted in spots on the surface from rust. I removed all bluing with naval jelly and then sanded the barrel & receiver. I used a fine cloth sand paper and 0000 steel wool to get almost all of the bluing off, bringing the metal to a good shine. I dremel buffed bringing the barrel to a decent shine.
Brake cleaner, then Wonder Blue Gun Cleaner and a propane torch to get all the gung out of the pores of the metal.

I used 44/40 gun blue as that was available.

Put on rubber gloves.

I started with 44/40 applying it with steel wool. It started to go on fine then it started to splotch on me. The oils in the steel wool messed up the 44/40. No problem, I switched to a clean cotton t-shirt, applying the 44/40 with that. The 44/40 went on smooth, turning a nice uniform dark color. I did numerous layers, letting it dry then softly wiping it down with the steel wool or a paper towel between layers. The last 2 layers I did not buff between the layers, instead letting it dry then applying a second layer over the top of the coating on it. I let it dry, then I lightly buffed it with steel wool soaked in CLP oil.

A nice blue sheen came forth that is decent enough for me.

AS BOUGHT