Thread: Model 99CD .308

jmg8550

Model 99CD .308

So my Dad has a 99 that has a problem.

When the safety is on, if you pull the trigger then click the safety off, it will go bang. I verified this at the range. it will do it every time. But if you pull the trigger then push it back forward with the safety on, the click the safety off, it won't fire.

I called Savage about this issue, and they won't even touch it. Anyone know how to fix this? Also while I'm at it, possibly improve the stock 10#, lots of creep trigger?

ellobo

Re: Model 99CD .308

First question. Why the hell are you pulling the trigger then flicking the safety off. There is no fix for that, you are releasing the sear by doing that. flick the safety off THEN pull the trigger to fire it.. Second, why are you pushing the trigger back forward after pulling it with the safety on? Are you expecting it to go bang if the trigger is forward again? It wont, you have reset the sear. Now it should fire normaly by pulling the trigger.

El Lobo

Eric in NC

I think he means that if you pull then release the trigger with the safety on, the rifle will fire without touching the trigger when you then take the safety off (defeating one of the purposes of having the safety).

I would suspect that you either have a missing/broken trigger return spring OR that someone "gunsmithed" the trigger/sear and messed it up. Either way, the parts are available from e-gunparts.com and pretty easy to replace.

jmg8550

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    First question. Why the **** are you pulling the trigger then flicking the safety off. There is no fix for that, you are releasing the sear by doing that. flick the safety off THEN pull the trigger to fire it.. Second, why are you pushing the trigger back forward after pulling it with the safety on? Are you expecting it to go bang if the trigger is forward again? It wont, you have reset the sear. Now it should fire normaly by pulling the trigger.

El Lobo
    You ever forget that the safety is on? I do sometimes. It happens.

Anyway, let's just say you forget the safety is on and pull the trigger to shoot, crap the safety is on, flick the safety off and the rifle fires. While messing with it, I found that if you "reset" the trigger by pushing it back forward, it won't fire when the safety is clicked off.
    I say it has a problem. That's why I asked the simple question of what may be wrong.

Next time, use a little tact when responding, I don't take lightly to your condescending tones. And if you don't like it, don't respond to my posts ever again

Thanks

Eric in NC... I'll look into that, probably gonna find a gunsmith to go over the trigger mechanism. Thanks for the advice.