Thread: Barrel Threads?

Basic Member

Barrel Threads?

A vendor at a gun show had a barrel for sale, marked as Stevens (factory markings). My question pertains the threads--they had flat tops rather than sharp. Very uniform, full circumference and length. Is this normal? Stevens and Savage? It looked nothing like the LW that I had bought earlier that day. Obviously, I've yet to see a Savage factory barrel off of an action--yet. Thanks, Steve

Basic Member

Re: Barrel Threads?

I am pretty new to these barrels as well, but the four I have been around the last month or so are all as you describe.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Three 44s

I have barrels with very sharp threads to very flat topped threads and the major diameters range from 1.061 down to 1.045. all of them work fine. I have not verified it yet but I suspect that the minor diameters of all the barrels are very close to each other.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

noload

My factory LRPV threads a sort of flat on top. Also a prefit Shilen barrel came with flat threads also. I think its good in some ways (no gauling problems) and bad in others Too much wobble (leaving the nut to do alot of extra work).

Dinosdeuce

Flat tops on the threads have nothing to do with the pitch diameter. The pitch diameter is where the threads engage each other. So do not worry they still should be a nice fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosdeuce
    Flat tops on the threads have nothing to do with the pitch diameter. The pitch diameter is where the threads engage each other. So do not worry they still should be a nice fit.
    +1

The flats will not contribute to any looseness or tightness of the threads. They are a result of the major(OD) diameter being a little too small. Looseness and tightness of the threads would be due to variances in the pitch diameter.

Dinosdeuce must know something about machining.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.