Thread: Anybody Thrown A Heavy Barrel On An Axis Stock?

Anybody Thrown A Heavy Barrel On An Axis Stock?

Ive got a bone stock Axis that I want to throw a small shank 22-250 varmint barrel on and was wondering if anyone has done this and how it looks. Pics would be aprreciated but I just want to know if it can be done and look good or if I should just resist my urge to tinker and leave it alone. Thanks in advance.

bobfortier

Re: Anybody Thrown A Heavy Barrel On An Axis Stock?

Of course this is with a laminated stock

Basic Member

that's a pretty sweet looking Axis!

where did you find the stock ?
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

bobfortier

I make them myself

Gmac5

Ive been shooting a 6 brx+ for about 4 months now .Like Bob i made my own stock.The action has been very easy to work with. This axis (6brx+) is single shot.I do have many target ( win 70 style tagret ) walnut & hardwood stocks that fit the axis .they are single shot but could be made repeaters with a blind mag.they have palm swell ,adjust butt pad and forearm rail.sorry for rambling on ,the axis is easily adaptable to target shooting considering it low price,ive been using sav precision actions since they came out,dont get me wrong that precision action is FANTASTIC.i have not used a custom action since. Doctor walked in gotta go
    Gary

bobfortier

Gary, please post a pic of your axis stock

Gmac5

Bob i dont know how to ,maybe i can get one of my shooting ( savage of course ) to do it for me ?
    I live in west palm bch fl if any one is close ,i would like to get rid of some stuff & show the 2 diff axis stocks
    Thanks gary

Gmac5

I meant to say one of my shooting buddies to help.

Gmac5

Any body live near west palm bch ,fl you would know who i am and can call me b4 8 pm est. 963-2848
    Thanks gary

Gmac5

Bob thanks ,i hope u got my message.i tried this am but it got returned.i see now i can not hit reply on the aol. Page.thanks again gotta rest ill be back on later.
    Gary

Basic Member

Bob. What kind of optics are on that rifle?
    couple of savages

bobfortier

It was an el-cheapo Vector scope, but I installed my vortex crossfire 8-32 on it last week

miassmaro98

post is worth less with no pictures :)

Basic Member

thats what i thought it looked like the leupold knock off how was it? honest opinions??
    couple of savages

bobfortier

It was ok for 100 yards or hunting (it will go on my hunting Lee Enfield), but I want to shoot long range and needed better adjustments

Basic Member

Will somebody please answer the question as asked, "Can a Factory Axis stock made to work with a heavy barrel?" Its not about makeing a aftermarket lam stock or what scope that somebody is useing.

Gmac5

Thanks, it was good seeing you also ,i was comparing the 6cm chamber prints to the reamers i have,ican chamber your next project IF you dont mind a 40 degree sholder.On the tat. 308 the barrel i thought was 1/12 is NOT it is 1/10 sorry,
    Stay well and GOD BLESS,GARY

bobfortier

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Albert
    Will somebody please answer the question as asked, "Can a Factory Axis stock made to work with a heavy barrel?" Its not about makeing a aftermarket lam stock or what scope that somebody is useing.
    I don't think you can. When you remove the plastic to fit the barrel, there will not be enough structural integrity left in the foreend, and you will not be able to rest the stock on anything for support. Unless you put arrow shaft in there, as someone can do to help getting the foreend stiffer

Gmac5

Sorry,back to the stock question .i have successfully used a one inch steel shaft heated in a bbq grill and placed in the barrel channel, some probably the thin axis stock can be done with a 1" rod inserted in channel then use a heat gun to gently warm the plastic while pressing the 1" rod down. This procedure will only spread the sides out . I have not done the axis yet,i have done many mossbergs atr. The plastics seem similar.
    Good luck,Gary

Westcliffe01

For a stock, would one of the HS precision stocks not do ? http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...e-stock/DetailCurrently $322.74 at Stockys (mostly sold out but can be back ordered at that price).

Lets face it, where can you buy a functioning rifle for just over $300, then sell the take off barrel and tupperware stock for a few $, then add a custom stock and match barrel for about $600 (total price well under $900) ?. It all depends on whether anyone is running specials om model 10's and model 12's I guess. I lucked into a stainless 12 for just over $700 with the laminated stock, but it lists for over $1000. And they have been sold out for months too. Now the barrel on mine is not a lapped match barrel, but just a good factory barrel. I could probably add a Shaw barrel within the $900 budget, but will probably wait for a Shilen or Lilja. That wait is getting darn long too.

Sinman1228

I have a savage axis 308 that I want to put a heavy barrel and muzzle break, but I will need to change the stock. Does any one know where I can get a stock ?

Gmac5

Good luck sold my last one today,heard of a friend of mine who is making walnut m-70 marksman style stocks for the axis
    Gary

miassmaro98

keep us posted