Thread: 6 Dasher

Luckus

6 Dasher

Picked up my 12 ftr and new Rock Creek 6 Dasher barrel from smith on Friday. Formed 70 Lapua cases using the bullet jam method, with no case loss. Just finished loading 7 different loads using RL-15, CCI450's 105 Amax,-.010 off lands. I did the shoot and clean, first ten after each shot, 3 shots five time, 5 shots 5 times, and 10 shots two times. None of them on a target. Weather permitting tomorrow I will be testing. Luckus

ellobo

Re: 6 Dasher

A bit excessive I think. Did you check for copper buildup and clean it out as needed? For breakin I use a different method to smooth out a barrel. I have done it on every new barrel I have ever had. Even on muzzlelaoding barrels which I have used by the dozens building flintlocks for 45 yrs. Even though they rarely need it. I have never had a problem with a barrel using this method.
    I put a tuft of 4 aught steel wool on a jag, oil it and run it full length of the barrel and back about a dozen times. On a cartridge barrel if I detect copper to any extent after that it gets another dozen swipes. I have never had to do it more than twice and have never detected any decrease in the potential accuracy of any barrel that I had done to it. For instance, my .35 Whelen and 7x57's after getting this treatment shot 3 shot cloverleafs, first 3 out of the barrel. 100 yds with a Weaver K-6. If you dont like my method, don't use it but I will continue to do that with the 2 Trade Gun Smoothbores I am currently making. 62 caliber. Flintlocks forever.

El Lobo

Luckus

Except for the last 10 shot strings, that is what Savage recommends. All though it's not a Savage barrel it's what I did. Copper cleaned every time. I can guarantee there is no copper in this barrel.

Senderofan

I think you'll be very pleased with your Dasher. I've got one built on a dual port target action and a 28" Krieger barrel. Unbelievably accurate round and a pleasure to shoot!

Congrats!

Wayne

ellobo

Luckus, if that breakin method suits you by all means go for it. I might point out though that its a very expensive breakin. My method uses about 10 cents worth of steel wool and one penny of gun oil. I am sure that little 6Dasher (Whatever that is) will be a great shooter.

El Lobo

cgeorgemo

I've never subscribed to the whole barrel break in by cleaning between rounds thing.
    Without some sort of abrasive like is used by barrel makers when they hand lap a barrel with a lead slug then I think we are just pissing in the wind with the whole break in thing.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html

Gmac5

I agree with cgeorgemo i have never seen any damage to the new bore ( 25 x bore scope ) by just shooting,
    I have seen many barrels damaged by improper,agressive cleaning.

Luckus

So far so good. 33gr RL17, 105 amax, 450, 3rounds .218, 100 yards. 33.2 same stuff .347. I'm happy! All bullets -.010. Luckus

Quote Originally Posted by Luckus
    None of them on a target. Weather permitting tomorrow I will be testing. Luckus
    Why would you not shoot at a target of some sort? Just seems like a waste of trigger time to me.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Luckus

I was in a hurry, and I didn't fell like dragging all the extra stuff to my range. But you are right, trigger time on range is a plus. Luckus

Senderofan

Lukus:

You just might be surprised at how well your groups are...with just the fire forming loads. I use a middle of the road load for a 6 BR...and I'm getting some nice little groupings. It's more or less fun to see while you're doing the boring task of fire forming.

Wayne

Luckus

Since I got my starting batch formed I have been using the new ones a foulers just to get all of them fireformed. They are very accurate, 1/2" range and less, with 80gr RP bullets. I seated some 105 amax's lightly jammed and got 4 in .144 yesterday, the fifth one went out to .422. I knew when I pulled the trigger it was bad. This thing is fun. Luckus