Thread: If you had to choose one powder/primer for 6.5Lapua?

Leonardo63

If you had to choose one powder/primer for 6.5Lapua?

I have found in the past that I can work with one powder and change the bullets and all the other little nuances and numbers and find satisfaction-of course if it was a good powder choice initially. I'm in the gathering stage of this build and it's time to get some stuff that goes boom. I've got a box of Lapua cases, 100 Amax/120 Nosler BallisticTips/123 Lap Scenar/130 Berger vld- So, if you had to at least start with just one powder/primer combo which? I just need a starting point and I've read so much it's still not that clear to me.
    I'm new around here and after finding this site and learning the potential of my old dust collector 110, it's done nothing but cost me money :)
    Thanks for any help!

PS: Packing peanuts, they will bust you just as fast as stripper glitter- ;D

82boy

Re: If you had to choose one powder/primer for 6.5Lapua?

Well CCI 450 Mag primer is the go to primer for this case.

gotcha

PS: Packing peanuts, they will bust you just as fast as stripper glitter- ;D

[/quote]..................... Been there done that ::) Leonardo, I've been shooting the 123 smk w/ 37.5 to 37.7 grs RL-15 w/ the fed. 205M's. Lotsa powder fouling. Switched to CCI br-4's last range trip. The br-4's cut powder fouling by more than half. (no change in powder chg wgt) 3 & 4 shot groups 3/16ths to 4/16ths letting the rifle "free recoil" using bi-pod and bunny ear rear bag. SMK seating depth = touching lands +.001"..... I'll probably use 82boys advice of mag primers & compare results. Note: this load was safe in my rifle. I've read of some shooters reaming flash holes larger on Lapua 6.5X47 brass. So there may be some "magic" in the hotter primer, larger flash hole idea. Good luck w/ your project. Dale

leatherlunger

I have been getting excellent results with RL17 and 140 grain berger hybrids. I am able to push 2800fps safely out of my 28" CBI. Loaded to my 2.810 COAL, the boattail just passes the neck shoulder junction slightly. I am going to do a little more testing and increase my max load a tenth grain at a time to see if I get pressure signs at all. Nothing so far. im using cci #41's because thats what i had in my shed. 52moa gets me to 1400 yards at sea level. I am thoroughly impressed with this cartridge. I have 4 firing out of my 100 pieces of brass so far. I neck size only but do not do benchrest brass prep. ES/ SD are low considering i dont get extreme with my prep.

Leonardo63

Thanks for those tips! much appreciated. I've seen the RL15 and 17 to be the most common w/mag 450s or br4. Seeing how my bullet weights are on the lighter side, does one or the other 15/17 favor those?
    On the flash holes, I swear I have a couple that are off and I've only picked a couple off the top of the box. Have you found any off center?
    I bought 3 dies, a FL, bushing shoulder bump and br seater, forsters. I'm waiting on comparator and bump gauge. Ordered a stock yesterday. I'm a couple weeks away yet.
    I just picked up bags, caldwell f/r set and am planning on using a bipod/butt bag with ears. Cool to see someone shooting that setup so well.

I don't remember coming across anything about reaming the flash hole. In fact, I did see the opposite tip somewhere. Something along the lines of , "clean up flashing lightly but do not enlarge the hole". reminds me, I don't have any inside flash hole tools, just pocket tools. More packing peanuts

Thanks again!

gotcha

Leonardo, I'd be very surprized to find flash holes off center on Lapua brass. At over a buck-a-pop I'd request to return the brass & exchange for a different lot#. The 6.5L brass I've got showed there was no need for flash hole deburring. All were clean, well formed & uniform in every way. I did set aside 2 out of 100 for being too heavy. Not saying Lapua is 100% perfect but they're pretty darned good as a rule. Have you had a chance to inspect all the brass yet?

Leonardo63

I haven't went through it and weighed it yet. I will get to that, but I've read other results and they are the best to buy from what I see out there info wise. Yeah, I'm surprised too, did a lot of research on everything I've bought to this point, I expected exceptional. When you roll it the hole wobbles- It's so off I'm not sure the decaper would hit it. I'm gonna guess it's a fluke- I looked at about a dozen and they are perfect.