Thread: Boyds' longer action screws

Basic Member

Boyds' longer action screws

getting ready to order another Boyds stock for my la savage and noticed Boyds now carries the longer action screws needed for the plastic to wood changeover. this is great as i won't have to contact Savage for the screws and won't have to pay additional shipping.
    thought i would post it here so others would know! prices are actually cheaper than Savages also.
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member

Re: Boyds' longer action screws

I assume that if you were going from wood stock to Boyds stock that the original screws would work just fine?

Basic Member

i would thinkk so, can't say for sure. :P
    Holy Crap!!

Aggie04

I recently upgraded my factory plastic stock with a Richards Microfit. My front action screw ended up not neon long enough. I contacted Boyd's about their longer screws, but didn't pull the trigger on theirs because their cheapest shipping for 2 screws was $6.

Went to a local hardware store to get a button head socket drive screw but all the heads were too wide to fit in the hole on my bottom metal (detachable box mag). So I was about to just go ahead an buy the Boyd's but went back to the hardware store and found some socket head cap screws that fit perfect and flush. Only $0.55.

Leonardo63

I received my Boyds Varmint Thumbhole today- I had them send me the action bolts too. I am replacing the stock wood stock which is easily worth about $5. From what I had read I understood you only needed bolts if taking your action from a plastic stock, and the original screws do fit fine, and to be honest, they seem better than what I received from Boyds-I like the idea of allen button heads but the heads of the factory screws are prolly twice as thick. Boyds were actually a little shorter than the factory screws.
    I'm glad I ordered a Boyds- I would not have been happy paying double for this from Stockys. It has a slick satin finish and it is well done, nice inletting (way better than the factory stock). The pad is a nice rubber with spacer that fits well and a far cry from the hard molded plastic factory pad. It's not the same as a Decellerator on the Stockys-so that's a consideration to ponder for a heavy hitter.
    I would have expected a "Varmint" stock to be channeled for a varmint barrel but it isn't. Got some work to do to fit my new CBI HV in there.
    Overall, I'd buy another at this point. It's not in the same class as my Fajen and McMillan stocks, but I say good stock for the price.

Basic Member

Leonardo63, i have another Boyd's FT stock coming friday and i ordered the longer action screws also. on my previous purchase, they didn't have the action screws and the originals from my Savage 116(synthetic stock) were definitely too short to bolt up the stock with. i went to the Ace and TrueValues we have around the area and they have piss poor inventory. i had to get the screws from Savage that cost more and you have the shipping on top of that.
    i'll try these this time and see if i like them, if not i won't order the screws again!
    as far as Boyds' stocks go, i really like them for the money and previious one just dropped in and required no inletting or anything. barrel free floated and shoots well enough for me. excellent looking stock also!
    Holy Crap!!

Leonardo63

Definately a good looking stock! I love thumbhole's - my 3rd one on the rack. It was between this or a Duramax so I went for the hole. I got the Pepper (black/black) but it does have a sliver of brown here and there in it- But I'm not going to wax it and put it behind glass either so doesn't matter to me.
    Definately on the "Good Value" list!

PS My action dropped right in too- but the barrel is like a 2/3 contour- .565" muzzle (soda straw sporter) Haven't changed the barrel out yet, this is where I wish it was a composite, sure sands out easier than laminated ones

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo63
    Definately a good looking stock! I love thumbhole's - my 3rd one on the rack. It was between this or a Duramax so I went for the hole. I got the Pepper (black/black) but it does have a sliver of brown here and there in it- But I'm not going to wax it and put it behind glass either so doesn't matter to me.
    Definately on the "Good Value" list!

PS My action dropped right in too- but the barrel is like a 2/3 contour- .565" muzzle (soda straw sporter) Haven't changed the barrel out yet, this is where I wish it was a composite, sure sands out easier than laminated ones
    i got the nutmeg "classic" last time for my 116 in 270, this time i'm getting the forest camo "featherweight thumbhole" for my Stevens 200. can't go wrong with the wood stocks, look nice and feel good also. i expect to get dings and chips but that can't be avoided if you use them!
    Holy Crap!!